• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Bore Brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To remove a stuck brish, insert a piece of conduit or pipe a bit under bore size and push far enough to slide over the brush. Then simply pull it out.

There are guys in the N-SSA who make tubular ramrod attachments for .58 and .69 barrels for stuck brush removal, as sticking wire brushes is fairly common.

I don't like the look of that breech plug, very dishonest face. I'd not be eager to mess with it even after sitting in penetrating oil for a week. If it were me. I'd see if I could find a replacement, but that's one I'd not be looking forward to putting my name on that job sheet.

I'd say you have your finger broken off in your ice, no disrespect. Would it be worth the $ to replace breech plug and barrel?

Can you take a file and take a lick on that and post a pic of what the steel looks like under that crust? Post a pic of the vent also.

I have the ability to think half a bubble off plumb.

I recently had a similar problem with a .50 cal and a bore brush. I trickled a little 4FG black powder in through the touch hole and primed the lock pan. Touched it off and have not found the brush yet. Worth a try.

I recently had a similar problem with a .50 cal and a bore brush. I trickled a little 4FG black powder in through the touch hole and primed the lock pan. Touched it off and have not found the brush yet. Worth a try.
that's exactly why I wanted a picture of the vent.
That half-bubble off plumb thinking.

Couldn't you try to just thread the brush back onto the rod?
This finally worked for the big brush. The small one was actually obstructing threaded end of bigger one. Took some effort and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth to push out of the way. But that involved pushing little one down into chamber. So the big boy is out and the little one is coiled up like a snake in the chamber. None of my jags will snag it. If I can find a 2" long machine screw with right threads, I can form a small hook to pull brush out.

This finally worked for the big brush. The small one was actually obstructing threaded end of bigger one. Took some effort and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth to push out of the way. But that involved pushing little one down into chamber. So the big boy is out and the little one is coiled up like a snake in the chamber. None of my jags will snag it. If I can find a 2" long machine screw with right threads, I can form a small hook to pull brush out.

IF it's a copper bore brush, get some copper fouling remover, non-ammonia based, and dissolve the brush by soaking it in the stuff overnight.

LD

IF it's a copper bore brush, get some copper fouling remover, non-ammonia based, and dissolve the brush by soaking it in the stuff overnight.

LD
Yup. Boretech Eliminator. It'll be ok on steel, but don't touch anything brass with it. I lost a repro Civil War compass when a bottle of that stuff leaked in a box when I was moving.

Deer Popcorn GIF

Glad to know that you succeeded in getting the bore completely cleared out. I always love to see the old Charleys roar back to life!
Best regards in the ongoing prep and rehabilitations.

So how about taking a clothes hanger and straighten it out then put a hook in one end. Run it down past the brush wiggle it around some and see if you can grab the brush and pull it out?

Back