• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripping Finish on Dixie Mountain Rifle Stock - Suggestions Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same "project" rifle. Miroku Dixie Mountain flinter, bought "pre-buggered up" from internet. Came complete with numerous scratches and dents in the wood and apparently someone's idea of tiger striping. Tried "Liquid Gold" to hide scratches which look good -for awhile. I know how to raise dents and scratches. What stripper to use is my question. DGW gunsmith said he "had no clue" as to what the original finish was. So, what stripper do you use?

This is NOT a pretty gun, has no historic value. Sanding before stripping probably won't work b/c the Liquid Gold is now "Sticky Liquid Gold" which actually caught fire two days ago from spilled ffffg around the pan. Considered acetone on rags (?)/ Thanks.
Hi,
I have several of these.
It's cherry but asIan cherry. Take her apart and sand down to bare wood. Lots of elbow greese.
Once down, pick a nice rich oil base stain like minwax. Let it dry for several days, then apply multiple coats of a quality hand rub oil. Practice first .

I'm not surprised. i haven't bought any for a few years. Zipstrip was always my go to brand. Aircraft paint stripper if you can still find it was even better.
I went looking today when I saw this thread, because Kleen Strip Aircraft was the best. I found out they've taken the methylene chloride out of it, and now there's just ethylbenzene. I can't even buy it here, but I'd bet it's still the best you can buy if it's available in your state. The manufacturer claims it's formulated for 2K finishes. I still have a couple of gallons of methylene chloride based stripper, and I'm retired from painting, so I'm all set.

In my painting career the toughest finishes to strip were lacquers. They just turn into a gummy mess no matter what you use. The Kleen Strip made fast work of enamels, and 2K urethanes.

Very nice! My resident millennial (daughter) is absent. Thus, I post no photos as my skiil set is lacking in that regard. What stain did you use ?

I filed, scraped, sanded, raised grain and re-sand (several times) which effectively removed "ALL" of the old finish and a lot of wood. Yep she went on a diet. When ready to stain, I used a coat of Laurel Mountain Forge (LMF) Honey Maple stain, let dry, then a coat of LMF Nut Brown stain, let dry, then with an artist paint brush I painted on stripes of Feibings medium brown leather dye. Let all that dry and rubbed on I think 2, maybe 3 coats of tru oil. I'm not completely satisfied with it but I accomplished what set out to do with it.

Attachments

• LMF Honey Maple 1 coat.jpg
    LMF Honey Maple 1 coat.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 59
  • LMF Nut Brown added 3.jpg
    LMF Nut Brown added 3.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 57
  • faux striped 7.jpg
    faux striped 7.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180114_142327.jpg
    20180114_142327.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 72
Same "project" rifle. Miroku Dixie Mountain flinter, bought "pre-buggered up" from internet. Came complete with numerous scratches and dents in the wood and apparently someone's idea of tiger striping. Tried "Liquid Gold" to hide scratches which look good -for awhile. I know how to raise dents and scratches. What stripper to use is my question. DGW gunsmith said he "had no clue" as to what the original finish was. So, what stripper do you use?

This is NOT a pretty gun, has no historic value. Sanding before stripping probably won't work b/c the Liquid Gold is now "Sticky Liquid Gold" which actually caught fire two days ago from spilled ffffg around the pan. Considered acetone on rags (?)/ Thanks.
Many professionals use "Easy off Oven Cleaner". Hang the stock, coat it with Easy Off, wait 15 minutes and wash off. Apply second coat if necessary. This will take off most finishes without sanding and it has worked for me over the years. Didn't have to sand at all. Easy Off is a strong base and is removed easily with water.

By adding another post here I know I’m dragging this discussion on to perhaps 3 pages???

Having done the same thing to mine last year, I know these Dixie Mountain Rifles were sold in kit form. Yours MAY have some finish on it from the original owner(s) who had it before you. As has already been said by others above, EVERYTHING minus applying a chemical stripper to it was done.

On a side note;
I learned A TON about these mountain guns and gun building from having done the same thing. I had the fortunate luck to get a pro builder (Mike Keller here in Washington state) do some MAJOR, MAJOR facelifts to mine before I got my hands back on it to refine it. If I can recall he said he used an electric sander to take away the rest of the original oiled finish applied by the original owner.
It no longer looks like what it once was WHAT-SO-EVER! I posted the after action pics here a while ago.

I almost wish I had another to convert into a half-stock…so if yours doesn’t quite fit the bill…keep me in mind.

James

Roads iced over. Content to work on rusted metal. Screws are "pre-buggered" and metal (if it wasn't before) now browned. Kitchen copper scrubbing "wool" is my old standby, along with Kroil for the first pass. Pits? Yup. Not going to attempt removing the touch hole liner until I can find a correct replacement. Apparently the former owner never bothered as the slot is intact. Now that the lock and frizzen are not "frozen", she throws a generous display of sparks with a new English flint. Suspect the "Stripes" were done with a torch or burning cord.

Further I get into this, it appears to have started as a kit project or had previous finishes sanded roughly and re-applied to the stock. Got some citristripper to try, also minwax pre-stain and dark walnut stain as some of the "tiger striping" is really deep. Also - 600 and 1000 wet/dry sandpaper. Doing a little every day. Thanks again for the help.

600 and 1000 would be too fine. Way too fine for wood stripping. Try some 220 or even coarser. In fact I would use the green scotch pads.

Many professionals use "Easy off Oven Cleaner". Hang the stock, coat it with Easy Off, wait 15 minutes and wash off. Apply second coat if necessary. This will take off most finishes without sanding and it has worked for me over the years. Didn't have to sand at all. Easy Off is a strong base and is removed easily with water.

I used Easy Off on dozens and dozens of WWII unmentionable stock sets of many sorts in a long military career, but I STOPPED using it over 2 decades ago.

First of all the fumes, if Acetone bothers you, Easy Off will drive you right out of even a large basement or garage. Yep, also tried the newer "lower fume" type when it first came out, but it usually required more coats, so you wind up getting the same fume inhalation - just over more coats. DEFINITELY use this stuff outdoors only!!

Second, you MUST really wash a stock down with water afterwards to neutralize it, including using a toothbrush to get it out of ALL the nooks and crannies, and that gets tricky for a number of reasons as you now have a waterlogged stock.

DO NOT put the waterlogged stock outside in the sun or aggressively attempt to dry it with a heat gun or even a hair dryer because I guarantee you it will often CRACK the stock. I learned to dry stocks and handguards as much as I could with paper towels and then leave them INSIDE for at least a day or two to begin to naturally dry out. THEN I put them outside IN THE SHADE for a full day. If you put it directly under a hot sun, it will also often crack the stock. Might take a second day outdoors IN THE SHADE to fully or mostly dry. Then and only then would I put them in the sun for a couple hours so it would face the inside and then outside of the stock to completely normalize dry.

STILL with all of that and being as careful as possible to fully wash off the Easy Off, you might wind up with a GREENISH cast to the wood days or even months later. This has happened to me twice out of many dozens of stocks. That GREENISH cast signified I DID NOT get the Easy Off fully neutralized and that means it is EATING the wood. So, even though the customers actually liked the color, I had to completely strip the stocks to neutralize what was left of the Easy Off and re-finish the wood AGAIN.

Over two decades ago and trying EVERY type of wood stripper on the market, I found Acetone was the best possible stripper for oil or oil/wax finishes and it leaves NOTHING behind on the wood. MSDS sheets confirm once the Acetone naturally dries in a few seconds, it is completely gone and no need for any kind of neutralizing agent.

I use chemical gloves to keep my old skin from drying out too much and wad up paper towels into a bunch, dip the bunch into Acetone and wipe off the old finish. Once that wad of paper towels is full, grab a new wad of paper towel and repeat in another area until you have cleaned the whole stock. I then do it one more time over the whole stock, but that's fast as most everything is already gone. If the stock is really dirty and grungy, like you find some WWII stocks, I use a copper wool, Kitchen "Chore Boy" scrubber to help get the gunk off, but you almost never find that on ML stocks.

Now if someone used heavy coats of Lacquer or VARNISH on the stock, then I do the same thing with Lacquer Thinner to get the majority of the old finish off. I finish with a scrub down of Acetone to make sure that and everything else is all gone.

Once that is done, the stock is dry and ready for sanding or staining if you prefer and then on to a good oil finish.

These methods are pretty fast, don't harm the wood and are easy for almost anyone to do.

Gus

I've long used Formby's Furniture Restorer (Home Cheapo, etc, etc), following the directions on the can.

If you decide to use it, remember to keep the cap on the container, lest the whole batch evaporate

( BT, DT - no TS)

I've long used Formby's Furniture Restorer (Home Cheapo, etc, etc), following the directions on the can.

If you decide to use it, remember to keep the cap on the container, lest the whole batch evaporate

( BT, DT - no TS)

An ex-girlfriend wanted to refinish two identical wood end tables. I suggested Acetone, but she had used Formby's before and would not think of using anything else. OK......... I used much cheaper acetone side by side with her and tried to match her speed as closely as possible. I got done first and she even admitted the acetone did a better job of stripping the old finish off to a cleaner surface.

Gus

Got photos on my phone. Attempts to send them to my pc didn't work. Original finish starting to disappear but stripes are deeper into the wood. I need some stripe "sucker outer". Pretty obvious coarse sanding was done at some point (both with and across the grain). Probably end up with a "twenty-footer" - looking good from twenty feet away. Thanks again to everyone.

Got photos on my phone. Attempts to send them to my pc didn't work. Original finish starting to disappear but stripes are deeper into the wood. I need some stripe "sucker outer". Pretty obvious coarse sanding was done at some point (both with and across the grain). Probably end up with a "twenty-footer" - looking good from twenty feet away. Thanks again to everyone.
You might try oxalic acid to lighten the stripes

You might try oxalic acid to lighten the stripes
What is oxalic acid normally used for? My acetone came from meth labs we raided years ago. (seemed wasteful to give it to the hazmat team). Coleman lantern fuel went to Scout troops. So far, I've learned acetone eats surgical gloves and gives me a headache. Citristrip really burns when it gets in a cut finger. 18 degrees is too cold to dry wood.

Watching old finish peel is sorta like watching paint peel but gave me an opportunity to oil everything in the garage gun safe and discover my eyes are too far gone to read the difference between ".222" and ".223" on the bottom of shell casings. Oxalic acid is what?

What is oxalic acid normally used for? My acetone came from meth labs we raided years ago. (seemed wasteful to give it to the hazmat team). Coleman lantern fuel went to Scout troops. So far, I've learned acetone eats surgical gloves and gives me a headache. Citristrip really burns when it gets in a cut finger. 18 degrees is too cold to dry wood.

Watching old finish peel is sorta like watching paint peel but gave me an opportunity to oil everything in the garage gun safe and discover my eyes are too far gone to read the difference between ".222" and ".223" on the bottom of shell casings. Oxalic acid is what?
It’s also called wood bleach. You can google it and find out more info

Latest posts

Back