• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripping an 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian the Brit

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend gave me his Pietta Remington 'New Army' today which on investigation needs a new bolt and and trigger/bolt spring. Everything else appears to be fine.

I have ordered the new parts and while I await their arrival wondered if anyone has posted an idiot's guide to stripping and reassembling this revolver?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian, see if this is readable.
Rem58a.jpg

Here is another picture.
Rem58c.jpg

Emery

Brilliant!

Thanks, Emery. The bit that was confusing me was how to remove the main spring. The rest seems pretty straightforward and not too dissimilar from the Colt 1860 in the way it works.

I shall now attack it with confidence.

Brian

Brian the Brit said:
Brilliant!

Thanks, Emery. The bit that was confusing me was how to remove the main spring. The rest seems pretty straightforward and not too dissimilar from the Colt 1860 in the way it works.

I shall now attack it with confidence.

Brian
The main difference from your 1860 Colt is the Remington uses a single frame screw to hold the trigger and bolt, on the Colt each part has it's own screw.

Just an update, I ended up fitting a new bolt, hand and trigger/bolt spring. The bolt needed some filing to get it to engage in the cylinder notches but the hand needed no 'fitting' and timing is spot-on.

At the range this morning I fired 48 shots without a single misfire and put most of the shots into the target at 25 yards. This revolver clearly has great potential!

When I got home I had to drive the cylinder arbour pin out with a hammer and wooden dowel as it was badly fouled. Apart from that it was simplicity itself to strip and clean.

Once again, thanks for the help and advice, guys.

Brian

Brian the Brit said:
When I got home I had to drive the cylinder arbour pin out with a hammer and wooden dowel as it was badly fouled. Apart from that it was simplicity itself to strip and clean.

Once again, thanks for the help and advice, guys.

Brian
Brian, put a good coat of soft lube on that pin to keep the fouling to a minimum.

Back