• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock patterns and wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffnh243

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I decide to take a stab a building a rifle. for a first build Im not going to be too concerned with being 100% HC. Im just gonna restock a traditions frontier that I got at a gun show for $75.00. I really liking the Vincent style but I cant find a pattern. where can I find one?????

I have access to good lumber and just wondering how thick of a piece I need to get started

I know it isn't answering your question directly but if your restocking a Traditions Frontier with a Vincent style stock I would recommend that you buy a pre-carved blank from Pecatonica River Longrifles.
Here's a link http://longrifles-pr.com/vincenthalf.shtml

Although the link mentions that the stock is pre inlayed for a Golcher lock you can tell them that you do not want it cut for the lock.
They will supply you with a stock that has the barrel channel and the ramrod hold drilled. Nothing else will be done for you.

All you have to do is to measure the size of the octagon barrel from flat to flat and give them this measurement so they will know the proper size to cut the barrel channel.

If you want a plain maple stock without any curl their price at the moment is $30. The price for cutting the barrel channel + the ramrod hole is $20.00 (see link) http://longrifles-pr.com/stockblanks.shtml
They might want another $50 for shaping the stock.

Postage is perhaps another $15 so, for a total cost of about $105 you can have a excellent starting point for your project.
Most of the really hard work is already done for you and the stock as it comes will look fairly good.

If you want to really improve the overall looks don't forget these pre-carved stocks have a LOT of extra wood left on them so they can accommodate all sorts of barrels and furniture.
Removing quite a lot of wood by sanding or filing will greatly improve their appearance.

OH! For going your route you will need a board at least 1 1/2 inches thick. 2 inches thick is even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also have Pecatonica cut your wood if you like. This would save you some money if you already have access to wood. Give them a call and talk to em. They are very helpful and can answer any questions you might have.

thanks guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Im gonna call them as soon as Im done with my other projects :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back