• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel flask safe for black powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a small tin "oiler" , the kind that come with Eastern European bolt guns. I was planning on soldering a top section of a brass rifle case on the lid to make a small powder flask for a hunting or short woods walks. I've been told that the reason blackpowder tools and flasks are brass is due to steel either sparking or static charge. Should I be concerned ? Here an expample of what I'm talking about using . -Thanks

il_1140xN.2924875135_a4ay.jpg

A good few original powder flasks were iron, and were and still aren't any bother Ron.
They had brass chargers, but so will yours ! :)
When you think about it, Powder always came in metal cans and folks would screw a pouring spout in them and didn't have problems.
Look forward to seeing it finished!

I have a small tin "oiler" , the kind that come with Eastern European bolt guns. I was planning on soldering a top section of a brass rifle case on the lid to make a small powder flask for a hunting or short woods walks. I've been told that the reason blackpowder tools and flasks are brass is due to steel either sparking or static charge. Should I be concerned ? Here an expample of what I'm talking about using . -Thanks
There is a significant difference between the electrical static spark and the sparks derived from tiny pieces of burning steel that a flint will scrape off the frizzen or a fire steel. There is no heat in the tiny electrical sparks, so they can't set off black powder. In the cases I have read about where sparks were identified as the cause of a fire or explosion, there was steel striking something that generated a spark of burning steel.

It is pretty unlikely that a spark of burning steel will be generated inside that steel oiling container.

https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html
Now, maybe a lighting bolt can be hot enough to set off a charge of black powder, but the static electicity from walking across a carpet or stroking a cat isn't that kind of spark.

Back