• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Star of Bethlehem- an Early American Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I always liked rifle #52 in Shumway's first volume of Rifles in Colonial America and felt it would make a good shooter for me. I am not fond of the decoration on that gun but the architecture really appeals to me and I think it is an early piece, perhaps made before the Rev War. I think it is a Northampton County, PA gun but its provenance is unknown. Anyway, I made a scale drawing of the gun and adapted it to my build adding some drop and shortening the LOP. I used a 62 cal. Getz D-weight swamped and rifled barrel, and a red maple stock blank. I regret the stock wood because, although dense overall, it had some hidden soft spots that coincided with areas for carving such as behind the cheek piece. Its penchant for chipping and shredding made carving at times a frustrating challenge. I did not copy any of the carving on the original gun but constrained it to simple designs and motifs consistent with the time and location of the original. Unlike my previous Reading gun, I did not limit my time spent on tasks but after planning my moves, I attacked each task with deliberation, efficiency, and speed, not fussing overly. I really like the look resulting from that strategy, at least for now. It seems authentic. The trigger guard and butt plate are castings and the lock is a modified Davis Colonial American flintlock. I made all of the other components. The wood is stained with ferric nitrate, filed, scraped and burnished (no sandpaper at all), and finished with Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil. I kept the engraving to a bare minimum (something really hard for me to do) and appropriate for the gun. Finally, I added a silver star burst in an unconventional location as a final touch to the "Star of Bethlehem". This is a big bore business-like man's gun not meant for the faint at heart.

dave

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%201_zpslvzlc45v.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%209_zpsahzt2oxm.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%202_zpstrifmogv.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%203_zps0lok4rq9.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%204_zpshlymnbcq.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%205_zpswgtgmqum.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%206_zpszx9pob7y.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%207_zpsm77wxfzw.jpg

Star%20of%20Bethlehem%208_zpsq9c7z0gd.jpg

The understated elegance is very appealing and the "star" is well placed and unique. Might be my preference for loooong bbls, but the bbl seems a mite on the short side....how long is it? Your scraping is A-one and the stain and finish really enhance the wood. The carving has an "old time" look...just what should be on this LR.....Fred

Hi,
Thank you Roy and Fred. The barrel is 42 inches but it is a big monster, and that is why it might look short. This is a sturdy gun. It is 1 3/4" wide behind the lock plate, but the barrel web is less than 3/32". It is a business-like gun and has a authentic feel and look. Fred, I love this gun. It balances and handles so well but you feel like you could drop a buffalo in its tracks or whack an 18th century British officer from 200 yards.
Thanks again,

dave

Very nice. What did you do to the lock and barrel finish, I'm starting to like that aged in the white look the more I see it. IF that is what it is.

dang!!

now I gotta wipe down my keyboard again!!

truly gorgeous!

what's the finish on the stock? I really like the color...

thanks for the post!

Hi NC,
Yes, it could have been made by a Moravian like Andreas Albrecht while he worked in Bethlehem before starting the shop at Christian's Spring. Actually, nobody knows where RCA #52 was made but it does suggest somewhere in Northampton County before the Rev War. Thanks for looking.

dave

Looks very nice.....in carving, SOMETIMES less is more.....so as this case......looking forward to #5!

Marc n tomtom

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back