• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard this afternoon that a TMN was recently scratched, while trying to "chip" a 200 gram native cotton rat. The email indicates that there was no obvious break in the skin.

And anyone wonders why some of us are considering getting vaccinated against the virus??

yours, satx

Loyalist Dave said:
How reliable is the formation of a titer? I had several Hep vaccinations, and never developed one for that.

LD
It tells you your level of responsiveness to antigen challenge. The higher the titer, the better the response...

I love squirrels and this is how I fix em, Flour and brown, ad a little water put on the cast iron cover and put in the oven until the meat is coming off the bone.

Squirrel_fried.JPG

Remove the meat and make gravy from the drippings

Squirrel_gravy.JPG

Make mashed taters for the gravy then you'll eat like a King

Squirrel_meat2.JPG

I am with you, all that's needed now is some cats head biscuits and a beverage. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

A few years back my dad would pick up our household garbage, The day before I had a batch of apple jack that we strained off and threw the plummies in the garbage. That morning a squirrel was in the garbage bag drunk as a skunk. When he picked up the bag out came the drunk squirrel ran up his arm jumped and staggered to the maple tee in the front yard attempted to go up the tree and fell off. Likely scared the old man to death. We had a bunch of laughs over that. R.C.

We once were stationed in a CA town that grew many grapes for making wine.

The vinyard's manager decided on a test fermentation was to be done with about 50L of juice to TRY to make GREEN HUNGARIAN wine.

On the 5th night of the test, a raccoon got into the test area, got into the fermented juice, obviously consumed a lot of the juice & afterward PASSED OUT DRUNK.
The coon was found that next morning by a test worker, was left alone to sober up & finally was later seen by several people that afternoon, stumbling/staggering around with what was OBVIOUSLY a MASSIVE HANGOVER.
(Most everyone but the poor coon was amused by the incident.)

yours, satx

Colorado Clyde said:
Thanks, no further questions.

I think we both agree, shoot first and diagnose later. :haha:

Yes, and yes. When I had my farm I always carried a firearm. If I saw a skunk or raccoon during the day I shot it and left it lay. Always gone the next day.

The very best recipe for squirrel I've ever tried. I think it got it from James Beard. First, braise the squirrel in chicken stock until tender...doesn't have to fall off the bone. Then, remove the parts and dredge them in flour, seasoning, salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder, but not for me, etc. Then put them in a pan with some oil to brown them. When thoroughly browned, add chicken stock to the pan, cover, and stew. It will form a gravy. About 15 minutes before they're ready to serve, add about 1/2 cup of bourbon and let the alcohol cook off. Serve with biscuits with the gravy.

Now that sounds tasty! Though I think I'll drink the Bourbon while it cooks...

Might be time to collect a few Pine Squirrels.

Black Hand said:
Might be time to collect a few Pine Squirrels.
Throw in some juniper berries, serve it with lapsang souchong tea and you'll have a piney trilogy. :haha:

Spence

Except that none of the Pine squirrels I've eaten tasted remotely like Pine. They have a taste akin to a mix of chicken dark meat and venison.

During the fall a lot of squirrels were shot and some were on the menu for the evening dinner on opening day of deer season.

My sister presented a platter of breaded and roasted squirrel and I don't have the recipe. but here's what she did....the squirrel parts were coated w/ a coarse breading and were browned in a frying pan. The breading stuck well to the squirrel parts and then were roasted in the oven. Even the older squirrels were tender and all were juicy and delectable.

I think the recipe came from a relative by marriage who was a full blooded Ojibwa {Native American} and who was an excellent cook. She and her family lived on a small farm and ate a lot of raccoon which they live trapped and kept in cages until used.

She defatted the raccoon in the oven at a low temp and the melted fat dripped into a baking pan. She then cooked the raccoon the same as described above and it was truly a feast. Had a few of these dinners when rabbit hunting on their farm.

Today I regret not getting the recipe and just braise the squirrels w/ onions and garic, etc.....tasty but not as good as my sister's squirrel......Fred

Back