• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Square nails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy square nails? I am building my camp furniture and would like to use nails instead of dowels.
Wayne

Just curious, what's wrong with common cut nails for T&G wood flooring? It is easy to alter the heads if need be.

Here is another good source.
[url] http://www.tremontnail.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually they are square nails. It's just a matter of size. If your building anything smaller than a floor you need smaller nails.

:bow: :bow: Sorry Okwaho I was scrolling so fast I didn't even see your post. Ops.

I'll agree with Wick,
A friend of mine uses common non-galvanized nails and just puts the file to the sides of the nail head.
Looks like the real thing!

Home Depot carries them as well as promart/home central. Don't know what you have for hardware stores out there, but around here they carry them for about $2.50 a box. :grin:

Legion

Nails are sized by penny. Signified by d. A 4d is a 4 penny nail, 6d, 8d etc. Pertains to the length and the guage of the wire.

Small chest maybe 4d or 6d depending on how thick your wood is gonna be.

Tremont makes them, I've got them there, and Lehmans has a big selection about as cheap as anywhere. Lehmans, the Amish people [url] www.Lehmans.com[/url]

Bill

I found the following on[url] answers.com[/url] which is what my father told me when I was growing up and learning to build things from him while he built our house.

It is believed that the origin of the term "penny" in relation to nail size is based on the old custom in England of selling nails by the hundred. A hundred nails that sold for sixpence were "six penny" nails. The larger the nail, the more a hundred nails would cost. Thus the larger nails have a larger number for its penny size.
:v

Anyone else heard an origin story? Enquiring minds want to know.

It's been at least 2 years since I actually bought any, (there around here somewhere) but I saw them about 6 or 8 months ago at home central. They had at least 3 sizes but don't know specifically. The ones I bout were maybe 1 1/2" long.

This help??

Legion

If you go to a hardware store and get 1/4 square and heat the point and hammer it to a tapper then cut it you cut it to a size that you like should work also

Speaking of horseshoe nails.They are very soft so they can be bent after they go through the hoof and not break.I had friend that makes all kinds of things from hammering on them.I thought about an decided to make colonial rose head nail.I put one in a vice with the head sticking up and with a three pound hammer and with no heat head had a rose head nail.And you do not have to pay the high prices from that company mentioned above. I used them with 3/4 and 1 inch pine to make camp boxes.You could cut the head off them and have a small square cut nail but remeber they are real soft will bend easy would not be good in hardwood.
Alan Ashworth :thumbsup:

Horton Brass,can't recall the web addy,has a good asst of nails and forged hardware too.

Back