• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield maybe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba45

45 Cal.
Reaction score
0420241620.jpg

I thinks it's a springfield ?

Had it a while and thought I'd fix it up. It needs a hammer and screw plus a tang screw/bolt.Smoothbore measures .69.
Help identifying appreciated.

It appears to be a parts gun. The stock is a M1855-M1863 profile, as is the lock plate, but it appears to have no markings anywhere. That's odd. The barrel should be .58 Cal rifled. They did bore them smooth after the war when sold off a surplus, maybe that's why it's smoothbore. I say it's a parts gun cause it has not sling swivel mounted on the trigger guard. If it was ever military issues it would have had one. Best of luck with the project.

The lockplate is flush with the stock and lacks a bevel around the edge which it should have and it would be inleted only to the edge of the bevel. That guard bow never had provision for a sling swivel and if the lug were ground off it would be obvious. The breech looks similar to a 55 or 61 but it isn't possible to bore out a .58 to a .69.

Last edited:
The lockplate is flush with the stock and lacks a bevel around the edge which it should have and it would be inleted only to the edge of the bevel. That guard bow never had provision for a sling swivel and if the lug were ground off it would be obvious. The breech looks similar to a 55 or 61 but it isn't possible to bore out a .58 to a .69.
It’s totally possible to bore the .58 barrel to .69 smooth especially if the barrel was cut back to typical shotgun barrel lengths of the 1870s. Safety was of little concern then. I’ve seen some scarily thin barrel walls on old muskets, both intact and modified.

Latest posts

Back