• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

spring steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use hacksaw blades. Or you can use steel banding for lumber or steel fence posts. I heat and bend the hacksaw blades to shape. They are soft enough that you can bend them slightly to make a tighter fit. They cut easily with Dremel cutting discs. They also make good inletting chisels.

Herb said:
I use hacksaw blades.

+1.
For a little heavier spring, i cut strips from an old crosscut handsaw.
cost a buck at auction and has a lifetime of springs in it.
/mike

Dixie Gun Works sells a variety of spring steel in an assortment of thicknesses for a nominal price.

Hi,
Old band saw blades make fine spring stock.
A good source are blades from sawmills, also a business that sharpens knives and sawblades will have all kinds of short pieces.
One old blade will make a thousand springs.
Good luck.
Old Ford

I use .015 thick spring steel that I buy from MBS...it forms easily and it's hardened by heating to a bright red and dunked in motor oil. Polish all surfaces and heat a 3/16 thick plate from below w/ a torch and hold the spring on the plate until a gray blue color and then dunk in motor oil again. Each of the areas of the spring undergo the color change...especially the bends......Fred

Great, thanks guys,thats the kind of answer i needed. i have access to all that junk ! :grin: . I do already use the hacksaw blades for small chisels and scrapers.

I have use old wind up clocks,the BIG BEN's are good .Springs of different sizes inside..Just right for many uses.
Yard sales!!!!!!!

I have used springs from almost any source. Old car springs get used a lot especially the torsion springs from the trunk lid for firing pins and screws. A few weeks ago I needed a spring that was .022" thick and had to buy it from MSC at $34 for about 10'X1". For light spring, old tape measure springs. Recoil starter springs from lawn mowers are handy also. Hard part is annealing and heat treat. Most of the time I will cut what I need from a larger spring using a carbide end mill.

discarded measuring tape return springs. I keep the 3'-6' tapes because for the narrow blade, it has a narrow return spring. Just the right size for door springs.

never throw an old hacksaw blade away. A lifetime supply of patchbox springs and small chisels. :thumbsup:

Back