• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SPIRAL STAINED RAM ROD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
All,

Looking for tips and tricks to make that nice spiral pattern on your ram rod....I searched the site and did not seem to find any treads on the topics, so it thought I would ask.

Standing by for enlightenment....

The approach I used about 40years ago on a Hawken was to use a standard sized, water dampened, cotton rope(approximately 1/2” diameter) spiraled(wrapped) down the sanded, but unfinished hickory ramrod. I then carefully applied heat from a propane torch to slightly and evenly char the exposed wood area. Remove the rope, lightly sand, and apply oil/finish. Still looks good.

All,

Looking for tips and tricks to make that nice spiral pattern on your ram rod....I searched the site and did not seem to find any treads on the topics, so it thought I would ask.

Standing by for enlightenment....
You will get several ways to do this simple project. In the early 70s I asked myself what you just posted. Thought about it, and this is what I do:
Take a sample dowel and try the procedure first. With dowel in one hand and burning soldering torch in the other (you want a pin flame) just start blackening at one end, rotate, while moving to the opposite end. Is it perfect? No! Is it irregular like grain in lumber, yes!
Larry

I only did one in the 80s before I found out it wasn't historically accurate. I just held it in a V groove and burnt it with a propane torch while rotating it. Like above, it wasn't perfect but worked.
Jeffsgun left.JPG

I only did one in the 80s before I found out it wasn't historically accurate. I just held it in a V groove and burnt it with a propane torch while rotating it. Like above, it wasn't perfect but worked.View attachment 253982
There seems be some question the method and historical accuracy of Candy Stripped ramrods. Many years ago in an old Foxfire book I read about these from an old time Appalachian gunsmith. He said it was a result of fire drying and hardening various types of fresh wood ramrod. At first they kind of moved the rod end to end over a candle and could see moisture bubble out. Then the habit of rolling it over the flame began and flame Candy striping was the result.

You will get several ways to do this simple project. In the early 70s I asked myself what you just posted. Thought about it, and this is what I do:
Take a sample dowel and try the procedure first. With dowel in one hand and burning soldering torch in the other (you want a pin flame) just start blackening at one end, rotate, while moving to the opposite end. Is it perfect? No! Is it irregular like grain in lumber, yes!
Larry
This is exactly what I do when I want a spiral striped look on a ram rod. I want it to look hand done - uneven - light and dark patches. I then go over it with steel wool and put a paste wax on it.

This is exactly what I do when I want a spiral striped look on a ram rod. I want it to look hand done - uneven - light and dark patches. I then go over it with steel wool and put a paste wax on it.
:thumb: Wood grain is not symetrical nor perfect in pattern. Why would someone want a RR with the sprial stamped out like a machine made it? Guys if you like perfect, go for it, I am not telling anyone how or why they should do their RR. I am just expressing my opinion about a RR spiral.
Larry

Latest posts

Back