• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speer vrs Hornady RB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanmike8665

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the difference between them? Accuracy, Size, Weight? The Sportsman Warehouse near me has both the Speer at $ 12.99 vrs Hornady at $ 16.99. Wondering if there are strong opinions.
Thanks for any replies.

Michael

Same here; both have always loaded and shot the same in my rifles.

However, most of the time I see the Hornady's for slightly less than Speer. Maybe Speer charges more to cover the added cost of the plastic box. Hmmm..

Have yet to find a cheaper site than MidSouth Shooting supplies either when it comes to buying RBs. Last year around Christmas they were offering gift certificates at 10% off too. Paid $90 for a $100 certificate and a month later ended up spending the entire amount on RBs.

Yep, I just bought a new load of Hornady 490's at Mid South SS at $11 per hundred. Cheapest by far......so far.

Yep, I can see a difference between them...about $4.00.
Buy the Speer. If you get 3 boxes, you'll have saved enough to get the 4th box "FREE". :grin:

Otherwise...no difference.

Biggest difference is in casting your own. One hundred .495 balls cost me $2.25. Three hundred pays for a Lee mold, a ladle and garage sale Coleman stove!

I've shot both brands interchangeably and found no difference in accuracy or loading.

As regards using the mentioned brands VS casting your own.....your choice could depend on how much you shoot....the economics favor casting your own.

I started off casting RBs but soon went to swaged RBs....only used them for hunting....Fred

I could see a potential difference in lead hardness.

IF pushing the envelope on big game, this is something you may consider.

However, 45 cal or larger on whitetail deer I don't think it matters much.

Maybe 50 cal on elk or moose, I would maybe pick the harder of the two for hunting.

For whitetail deer of adequate caliber, I'd probably prefer the softer of the two.

In either case, I'd lean heavily on the cheaper of the two.

I've used both and can't tell any difference.

I have used hornady mostly and like them.

Buy one of each and tell us the difference.

I haven't seen any measurable difference between the two brands but it has been a while since I have shot either one since I mold my own balls. If I were going to try to find any difference between the two, I'd weigh a bunch of each and see how close each comes to the expected weight and how much variance there is within each brand. I'd then make a bunch of measurements of the diameters of the balls and do the same math to find how much variance in size each has. Finally, I'd compare their relative hardness using the following method:

Here is a way that is accurate and free.
You have to work on your math a bit though.
I use two 50 cal REALS instead of bottle caps and align everything in a Styrofoam sleeve in the vice.

I found I could get accuracy to 1 BHN by doing 5 samplings and then averaging my results.

The instructions are from the Corbin website.

Here is a simple way to test the Bhn number of unknown lead samples: all you need is a caliper, two bottle caps, a vise, a 5mm diameter (aprox. size) ball bearing, and a known pure sample of lead (Corbin can furnish pure lead of 99.995% Pb with trace silver).
Melt enough lead to fill one bottle cap with unknown sample, and the other with known pure lead. Make sure the surface is smooth and flat when the lead hardens and cools.
When the lead is cold, put the ball bearing between the two lead surfaces and squeeze this "sandwich" in the vise until the ball is driven partly into both surfaces (just enough to make a fair sized dent, but not past the middle of the ball).
Remove the sandwich and measure the two dent diameters. First measure the known pure lead dent and write down this number. Then measure the dent diameter in the unknown lead sample and write it down. Square both numbers (multiply times themselves). Then divide the resulting square of the unknown lead dent diameter into the square of the known pure lead dent diameter. This could be written as (L times L) divided by (X times X) where L is the pure Lead dent diameter, and X is the unknown lead dent diameter.
The answer should be a number of 1 or greater. If it is a fraction, or less than 1 in value, you have inverted the two dents and divided the wrong way. In that case, try again. When you get an answer that is 1 or greater, multiply it by 5. This is the actual Brinnell Hardness Number of the unknown sample.

Here is the formula:

H = 5 * (D1^2)/(D2^2)

...where H is the hardness of the unknown sample in Bhn number, D1 is the diameter of the indentation formed in the known pure lead sample, and D2 is the diameter of the indentation in the unknown hardness sample.

By then, you will be able to give a definitive answer on how the two compare. Otherwise just take the simple route and shoot the damned things and see how each one shoots.

:( I long for the day I can blame my shooting results on which round ball I used.

The more data that you gather the more ammunition you have to support your argument that a poor score is the fault of your equipment or supplies. I love to process and massage data and I have a million good excuses for why I miss. :rotf:

OK everyone thanks for the info. I am looking at .457 balls for my Ruger Old Army. I shoot only cast balls in my rifles, but don't in my pistols. My scores are so bad in the pistol matches my friends stand away from the firing line until I am done for fear of my safety. When I started shooting ( 1989 ) I shot Speer and now we use Hornady. I wondered if anyone had a reason to use either, good info. Thanks to all who posted and yes, you can make fun of my pistol shooting all my pals do!

Michael

meanmike said:
OK everyone thanks for the info. I am looking at .457 balls for my Ruger Old Army. I shoot only cast balls in my rifles, but don't in my pistols. My scores are so bad in the pistol matches my friends stand away from the firing line until I am done for fear of my safety. When I started shooting ( 1989 ) I shot Speer and now we use Hornady. I wondered if anyone had a reason to use either, good info. Thanks to all who posted and yes, you can make fun of my pistol shooting all my pals do!

Michael

You can take all the credit if your scores improve by using cast, and will have saved enough $$ so you can buy either celebratory or condolence beers for the group afterward.

Otherwise, there is no advantage to using swaged balls.

Back