• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speed Loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dckcrk

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I like the idea of carrying pre-measured powder charges in the field but I did not want to carry plastic in my possibles bag. So I started looking around in the scrap heap I call a shop and came up with these. 1/2" OD copper tubing and 3/4" oak dowel make nice little speed loaders. These are cut to length to measure 70 grs. of FFG but of course the length is up to you. I used a 1/2" Forstner bit to bore out the dowel and the tubing slips in with a nice fit.
IMAG0030.jpg

Good idea, but more trouble than making a paper cartridge of just powder, and your fit could change with the weather, and dump your charge in your bag.

I myself have used tapered wood plugs for my premeasured powder charges and have never had a problem with them coming loose. My wax paper powder charges will sometimes tear if not handled carefully. So while his idea is time consuming to make, they are reusable many times. And if used often enough will actually save time over paper charges. :hmm:

A thin layer of clear epoxy let dry will offer a good surface on one of the mated surfaces of the plug/cap and if worn till loose can be re-done, this also works on horn plugs.

I think that if the cap gets loose (they are pretty tight now), I should be able to squeeze the copper slightly oval and tighten them up again. I made ten of these in an hour or so after working out the prototype. Now for decoration. I am thinking grooves or rings and rounding off the ends, or even using a larger dowel and filing octagon flats.

By the way the tubing cutter slightly crimps the end so that the copper will fit in the bore of my .50 cal. and stand up!

Back