• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern influenced build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtdoug

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy,
Getting together parts for my first build and love the southern influenced rifles.
I want (intend) to stay more or less true to the style(s) I have seen. Slender wrist, iron furniture, etc.
I am having a bit of difficulty in keeping the styles straight to get to what I want to build.
The NC Jamestown guns seem too thick in the wrist, and too much of a hooked buttplate.
I want a less curved plate, and forego the long "lollipop" tang.
A piece with some PA influence may be in order, with definition enough to be "southern" or "virginia" which , as I understand, included most of the area of Kentucky at one time.

Anyone have any good sources to help me decide?

Regards

Oh yeah, got a Rice .45 octagonal for a start, and contemplating a Gunstocks plus pre-carve.
This will be for a user gun.

Have you looked at Bean Tennessee rifles? Virginia included Indiana and Ohio as well at one point so I don't think the old maps apply here. Maybe you can find an idea looking at drawings. Hershel House rifles are included on the list here... Link

Yes, that's what I am looking for, references to look at so I can determine what I see in my minds eye as pleasing, with a name to put on it and follow that pattern of gun.

Thanks

Googling images or custom gunmakers is another option. Their sites usually have nice example photos to get a general idea. Also Track of the Wolf has custom rifles to look at. I imagine some are more correct than others tho. Just trying to help as I saw noone had replied.

Thanks dyemaker,

I have googled the s**t out of them, and found only 2 or 3 that don't have the deeply curved crescent butt plate. Don't know if I can straighten one, so I want to be able to find one.

I guess a good book is what I need.

I suggest you call Pecatonica & talk to Dick about a stock. He will take care of you & has several southern profiles.

Keith Lisle

Recoil certainly isn't going to be an issue with a 45, and I can't say if it's "standard" for the style you're aiming for but here goes:

If this is going to be a "user," adding a little bit of cast-off to the stock architecture makes a lot of difference for me in handling and shooting. The rifle just seems to settle more naturally where it belongs on my arm, and the sights line up more quickly and naturally.

Passing thought, but since I'm contemplating a southern build, the cast-off is high on my list at the moment.

cast- off is great ... i had no idea how this deal worked until i built a rifle from a blank, and put cast off in it, figuring that (1) i have the wood, so why not, and (2) it's my rifle, and it's going to take a while, so why not have all the neat stuff I want?

wow- what a difference! this comes to my shoulder and the sights are right there under the eye, and it says, "OK, you gonna pull the trigger now, or are you gonna fuss around some more?" (of course, a smart aleck rifle for a smart aleck guy...)

seriously- if you have a chance to get cast off, go for it!

Back