• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for Lead?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider Tire shop or recycling place Lead "Muzzleloaders Gold", I just picked up 29 more lbs. All told, 55 lbs. of lead cost me $40.00. I made good with the manager by giving him $20.00 instead of the $10.00 that he asked for and paid him another $20.00 to go through 2 more buckets. He told me I could come by anytime I wanted some lead :thumbsup: .

A person can buy wheel weights in ingot form for less than a dollar a pound delivered. Ron

Be a bit weary of wheel weights.

More wheels are aluminum than steel. Those painted weights with the more squarish corners edges are zinc wheel weights. The zinc weight have more a clink to them when you tap them on something.

For the most part, zinc weights are useless for reloading. Metling point is higher and the density is a good bit less. All zinc is really good for is fishing weights.

I stripped bass fish, so I use 3 to 6oz weights and loose them in rocky parts of the river a lot.

My guess is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the weights in the bucket are zinc.

That .35 cents per lb of wheel weights probably equates to .70 cents per lb of useable lead.

O.K. I'll let ya'll know a secret. The wheel weights I get are "PURE as can be" lead weights. They are the stick-on type, of which there are several kind, some are a Zinc, Tin, etc. mix, and some are pure lead. I scrounge through and pick out the pure lead ones. Right now I have around 100 lbs. of stick-on lead weights waiting to be melted down into ingots. If you want a sample, PT me and I'll send you a couple of strips.

Back