• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sound Effects

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:hmm: In this months issue of Muzzle Blasts there is an article about the Disney TV show Davy Crockett Starring Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen which aired in 1955 ther was a picture of Fess as he appears today. Doesn't look at all like himself.
Any way this is the show that drew me to Black Powder.
I allways wondered what kind of sound cannon was used to make the sound of the reports of the rifles firing? I have never heard this immitation sound since. Would anyone know what kind of sound effects cannon was used or how the ecoing boom was produced?????? And don't tell me a woodpecker with Farts. :rotf:

You know,,, if they reran them today,,,,, I'd watch them again!!!!
Along with some other Disney classics like "Swamp Fox", "Scarecrow", the "Liberty & Independence" series by Kennedy.
But, gotta admitt,,,, them A. Flynn movies were the tops (well the old "Robin Hoods" were good too) the old swashbuckers w/ pirates, bulging hooters, and lots of cannon fire!!! :thumbsup:
Nothing like a Saturday morning B&W TV with a box of Frosted Flakes.

According to Fess Parker they fired original flintlocks, that were frequently overloaded by the prop people.

My wife found the Davy Crockett "King of the wild Frontier" in a VCR bargin bin and bought it for me. I take it out every so often and watch it. Just as good now as it was 50 years ago...Jim
ps. I was one of those kids that used to run around the neighborhood with the coon skin cap and a Davy Crockett te-shirt. [I'll be 55 in three days]

:grin:
Dad got me a coonskin cap for Christmas one year!
I'll be 56 on Father's Day. :hatsoff:
Hey, we're almost neighbors!
Ever go to the Franklin R&D?

:hmm: That's true they did use original Flintlocks but as I pointed out befor the sound used as the report of these origina Flint locks were made on a sound stage. No muzzleloader has ever made the type of ecoing boom that were like those in those pictures.

I must have watched that movied 20 times between 5 and 7 years old. As a kid, my grandmother had a chair upholstered in some kind of fabric that was suede-leather like and buckskin colored. she had enough left to make a hunting shirt like the one Fess wore in the movie. I wore that think with my "coonskin" cap, a horn, rabbit skin bag (don't know where I got that), and those longrifle cap guns from Paris, TN all the freakin' time. I don't have that stuff anymore, but I upgraded to the real thing! I haven't seen that movie in forever. I need to watch it again.

it a shame our grandchildren can't see these shows, but today they are not PC. :bull:
what a shame :( :shake: :nono:

my wife picked up king of the wild frontier an river pirates and my 2 boys just love them. my 5 year old thinks mike fink is the greatest. within days of watching it both boys had to have coon skin hats and they wear them when they wach the movies. everybody says we need more young peaple in this sport and all the old guys say these movies got them into it seems like when christmas comes around everybody should buy these movies for the grand kids. just a thought.

curly maple

Stone Bridge said:
My wife found the Davy Crockett "King of the wild Frontier" in a VCR bargin bin and bought it for me. I take it out every so often and watch it. Just as good now as it was 50 years ago...Jim
ps. I was one of those kids that used to run around the neighborhood with the coon skin cap and a Davy Crockett te-shirt. [I'll be 55 in three days]

There was an interesting article in our local newspaper last week about a descendant of Davy Crockett (great-great grandson maybe?) who was attempting to dispel some myths about his legendary ancestor. He said he never wore the famed coonskin caps, because he detested them. They were not much good in the rain. Where did the myth originate, anyone know?

fess2.jpg

Well here is Fess when I met in San Antonio when he donated his Flintlock Rifle to the Alamo .. a warm, sincere gentleman! Tall too! :hmm: :hatsoff:

dc4.jpg

Also here is a photo I poste elswhere on the site of David Patton Crockett, Davy Crocketts 4th genration grandson. Also at San Antonio just earlier this month, again a nice very nice man! :thumbsup:

Davy

I was about 4 years old and got a coon skin cap and faux buckskin top and pants with fringe. I had a smooth bore .45 and a pistol .45 that shot cork balls via a #11 cap. Santa Claus was good that year! I had a great time shooting the family cats and of course Injuns. I wish I still had those toys. They where well built and would probably be a collectors item in this world of political correctness.

Back