• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm certain sure that I must have once had a really good reason for doing it, but I'd like to hear from the assembled audience why I imagined that it was a good idea to store a small plastic of bottle of Birchwood-Casey 'Stock sheen' in the far reaches of our refrigerator.

Obviously this wouldn’t have worked for the OP’s sitch, but kind of relevant…

When I was working for the GA shop at TXK Regional, we had to account for everything that we dropped. No work continued until the small part or socket was found.

The A&P I was working under at the time taught me a valuable technique that I still use today when looking for a small part on a flat surface.

Set a penlight or a flashlight directly on and parallel to the surface, and scan it radially. Small parts when illuminated at this angle cast a shadow/catch the light and stand out really well.

I have a magnet on wheels I keep handy.

I learned the hard way about small parts zinging off into "the never never" (Aussie term for way out beyond).

Buy a cheap U shape Magnet and suspend it from a long string (when not in use keep it magnetically locked on to something Iron or Steel to preserve its Magnetic integrity).

Fun Tip, if you do drop a small part and cant find it, take a small flashlight ("Torch") and lay flat on the floor using the Torch flat to the Floor to scan for the lost part, you'll be amazed at how effective it is.

PS. For we "Elders of the Brethren" please remember to do warm up exercises before lying prone on the Floor, and identify hold assist grips that will aid your rise up recovery, one knee at a time.
Pssst I find my full size 1977 raunchy Angie Dickenson repro photo on the ceiling helps enormously when I get up off the Floor.

I'm certain sure that I must have once had a really good reason for doing it, but I'd like to hear from the assembled audience why I imagined that it was a good idea to store a small plastic of bottle of Birchwood-Casey 'Stock sheen' in the far reaches of our refrigerator.

Rumour has it that the B-C "Stock Sheen" enhances an attempted scrambled egg breakfast when your 5 year old insists on cooking it.........

For we "Elders of the Brethren" please remember to do warm up exercises before lying prone on the Floor, and identify hold assist grips that will aid your rise up recovery, one knee at a time.

If you are going to go to the trouble of getting down on your hunkers, or even lower, in an attempt to locate some lost component, see if there is anything else that you can do while you're down there.

Your angel was working with you. Several years ago I was working on replacing a trigger on a 22 LR and, like you, a spring jumped out of the trigger assembly as I was putting it together. I felt it hit my foot then the trash can on the floor. Again like you I searched and searched for that spring. I swept the floor and even went over all the nooks and crannys with a magnet but couldn't find it. I called Savage to order the part and they said it wasn't in stock!
Now you can believe this or not but I remember what my mom use to say "ask Jesus for help". So I did. I said a little prayer and went back down to my gun room and low and behold the spring was sitting on my work bench right nest to the rifle! Now how is this possible when I felt it hit my foot and heard it hit the trash can on the floor? It had to be divine intervention. Ever since then if I need help I pray and almost every time He comes through for me.

Back