• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story and ending. I still have a double set trigger adjusting screw lost in the shop. But I carve decoys so it gets vacuumed every day so it's probably lost forever.

I once lost a rifle screw while I was cleaning my gun in the garage. My garage was dirty, messy and full of boxes and other things. I looked for quite a while to no avail. I ended up totally cleaning and rearranging the things in the garage in the hopes of finding the screw. I failed to find it. I got the owner's manual to determine the part number and was going to order the replacement part the next day. While sweeping the garage floor I noticed a caterpillar running across the floor at a 45-degree angle. That looked very strange to me, so I grabbed it. It was my missing screw. -------------------------------- Another time I was using my chainsaw and a screw fell out of the housing. I was outside, in a heavily wooded area, so I knew the chances of finding it were bleak. After 2 days of searching, I gave up and went to the hardware store to get a replacement. Well, the store had to special order the durn screw, even though they carried the exact chainsaw model in their store. They insisted upon mailing it to my house. I wanted to do all of this without my wife knowing about it. She gets very angry over little things like this. So, 2 days later I am working in the wooded area, and I unexpectedly found the wayward screw. I put it in the chainsaw and it was a match. Of course, the special order came in the mail the next day and my wife beat me to the mailbox. When she saw the package she got upset and we had a little argument over it.

i have a squeeze and cruncher staple gun i use for stapling up my targets. this last week i had to clean our front porch of "all that shooting manure" as per my brides instructions. Family coming over for Fathers day. the argument that "they all know i am a slob so why should i clean up?" fell on deaf ears and fiery eyes.
sooo, i cleaned the porch.
next day was looking for the stapler. gone. disappeared. looked in every room in the house. looked in every nook and cranny outside the house.
looked in every vehicle on the place. looked in the attic. vaporized!
swallowed my pride and asked the bride if she had seen it.
she kindly took me by the hand, led me out into the garage, and pointed at the peg board i put up 15 years ago in a fit of organization.
you know, with the painted outline of whatever tool that belongs there but is never returned there .
nestled on its own hangers was the stapler. and a pack of staples right below it.
almost caused me to have a seizure, the shock that it being where it belonged was such a foreign concept.
now where did i put the targets and hearing protectors?

i have a squeeze and cruncher staple gun i use for stapling up my targets. this last week i had to clean our front porch of "all that shooting manure" as per my brides instructions. Family coming over for Fathers day. the argument that "they all know i am a slob so why should i clean up?" fell on deaf ears and fiery eyes.
sooo, i cleaned the porch.
next day was looking for the stapler. gone. disappeared. looked in every room in the house. looked in every nook and cranny outside the house.
looked in every vehicle on the place. looked in the attic. vaporized!
swallowed my pride and asked the bride if she had seen it.
she kindly took me by the hand, led me out into the garage, and pointed at the peg board i put up 15 years ago in a fit of organization.
you know, with the painted outline of whatever tool that belongs there but is never returned there .
nestled on its own hangers was the stapler. and a pack of staples right below it.
almost caused me to have a seizure, the shock that it being where it belonged was such a foreign concept.
now where did i put the targets and hearing protectors?
I have 2 staplers like that. I can usually find one of them. LOL

When I pulled up at my daughter's house once her neighbor asked me to look at some guns he inherited from his father. One of them was a between the wars Colt 1911 in pristine shape. I asked him if he wanted me to show him how to field strip it and he accepted. We were in a room with shag carpeting and when I pulled the barrel out the lug pin just fell out and bounced off of something hard and into the carpeting. I sweated bullets looking for that pin but after a while found it. It taught me a lesson, don't strip guns for others.

Once a lost tool is given up on I go buy a replacement. I then send the replacement out to look for the original. About a week later I go buy another replacement..........

As a 20 plus year clock repairman there is one truth in finding a dropped and lost component of anything: Dropping an identical or near identical item from the same position will not help. The dropped item, like as not, will bounce or fly off in a totally different direction and end up nowhere near the spot the original landed.
The one helpful ploy to minimize (not eliminate) lost dropped items is to make a canvas "hammock" along the edge of the work bench. This can be fairly unobtrusive, the length of your work area with a throat width of about 1 to 1-1/2 inches. Handier than positioning a magnet and lost pieces are easily recovered.

Back