• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

solder paste

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built my Centermark tulle about 20 years ago. I had some of my dad's old real lead acid core solder.Not soldered any thing since.I'm making a northwest gun now from tow. On their gunsmithing page tow has solder paste in a tube. Can this be used to put on lugs and front sight?How do you use it? :idunno:

I don't know about the stuff that track sells but I've used swift solder paste on pipes and some lugs. You just put it on and heat it with a torch. I ordered it from Brownells. Good luck.

I just went through an ordeal with stainless steel. I would order solder and paste from Brownell's. I think on the Plumbing, a copper pipe heats up quick and sucks in the solder but on a heavier piece of steel- IMHO I think some cheap paste/flux melts/burns/etc before the heavier metal is really up to heat and it is a more difficult task- so go with Brownell's products. That's my plan next time.

Dew said:
.....I've used swift solder paste on pipes and some lugs.....I ordered it from Brownells.......

Me too. Just apply, clamp and heat. Couldn't be easier. First time I used it I soldered the lugs on a the round section of a barrel. To test I hit 'em with a hammer after the cooled and they didn't move a lick. Good stuff.

Enjoy, J.D.

There is a paste solder available at the hardware store that has worked quite well for me (Flo-Temp Alpha Fry, Lead-free Instant Plumbing Solder, Part# 52945). And no gun-building catalog "mountain price" markup....

Lowe's sells solder paste brand name "Solder-It Inc." in a 7.1 gram syringe. The largest lettering on the packaging is "Silver Bearing".

I've used it on underlugs and front sight with excellent results.

Back