• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Load Development

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Surprising / interesting discovery at the range this month...have made many range trips for load development over the years, normally with 'magnum' hard lead shot, but also some old original Winchester Lubaloy real Copper Plated shot, and today's so called copper plated and nickel plated shot.
But I'd bought some real old bags of Chilled #4s/#5s/#6s a couple years ago, wanted to see how they'd do in the .62, and yesterday wrapped up 3 range trips that were dedicated to testing each different size 'Chilled' shot. I used various powder charges of Goex 3F & 2F, along with various wad & shot configurations, and the results were outstanding.
I'd previously had similar outstanding results trying some of the Chilled #5s in a 42" .54cal smoothbore but thought that was due to something unique about the particular load in that particular long 42" barrel, but now I think 'Chilled' shot may be the common denominator, as the results were also outstanding in the 38" x .62cal.

With only 2% antimony in Chilled shot instead of 5%-6% in Magnum lead shot, each pellet would not be as hard of course and I always assumed a lot of pellets would deform and fly out of the central core of the pattern.
BUT...a pellet of Chilled lead would would also be slightly heavier than a pellet of Magnum lead as the higher Antimony content of Magnum lead makes them lighter than Chilled lead...and my experience is that heavier pellets bore straight ahead a little further than lighter pellets and that may enter into the test results, not certain...but bottom line, in two different gauges/barrels now, Chilled lead has proven to be excellent in my tests.
No science, just actual hands on range results.

Actualy it is science! The scientific method: Observe, formulate theroy, experiment, draw conclusions. ! :idunno: :idunno:

I have always had great results with chilled lead shot, especially with #4's. No that it makes any difference since you can't read my posts. :blah:

yep RB goes with what I figured out several years ago been using Chilled shot for years

I also have found no real difference or improvement in patterns between using "Chilled" shot vs. " Magnum" shot. Chilled shot is usually cheaper.

Mike Brooks said:
I have always had great results with chilled lead shot, especially with #4's. No that it makes any difference since you can't read my posts. :blah:

Mike,...

:hatsoff:

majg1234 said:
yep RB goes with what I figured out several years ago been using Chilled shot for years
Over all the years of trap & skeet shooting I reloaded all gauges with nothing but magnum 7.5/8/9 shot for the best most uniform patterns on small flying targets...natural assumption was that magnum shot would be best in smoothbore muzzleloaders.
And from past tests using magnum 6s, as well as field results on longbeards, I personally know that magnum #6s get it done to 40yds, both pattern wise and penetration.

For the close (25yd) hunting pattern tests I just ran, definitely looks like chilled shot will get it done too...however, the jury is still out on chilled shot at 30/35/40yds until I test patterns and penetration at those distances...more good reasons to go to the range.

RB.I too shot a lot of skeet,sporting clays but no trap to speak of.I always used chilled shot to good effect,of course I'm not in any competition just lots of fun,shooting targets and small game.I figured with as much as I was shooting the savings were worth it.BTW I'm using mixed 4's,5's 7.5's for my SB.This has produced dense patterns and good penetration.I hope to get a Long Beard soon with this load.

roundball said:
I'd bought some real old bags of Chilled #4s/#5s/#6s a couple years ago, wanted to see how they'd do.

Is there a difference between old shot and the equivalent modern shot? For instance, does old shot harden, or soften over time? I've seen old chilled shot that seems duller in color, less lustrous.

trent/OH said:
roundball said:
I'd bought some real old bags of Chilled #4s/#5s/#6s a couple years ago, wanted to see how they'd do.

Is there a difference between old shot and the equivalent modern shot? For instance, does old shot harden, or soften over time? I've seen old chilled shot that seems duller in color, less lustrous.
Not an expert but I'd think that was simply surface 'oxidation'...same thing that happens to old boxes of lead round balls that have sat around for years and years.
To my knowledge, the overall integrity of the lead is normal...the bags I bought had to be at least 40 years old...had been laying under an old workbench in a barn for lord knows how long...and they do just fine.

Shoot!! I thought we were going to talk roundball loads.Well, you guys I hoped would. I can't, :idunno: I cheat!LOL! :wink:

I use a cloth sabot! Lubed too. non pc

Back