• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke but no deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Steve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, hunting seasons are over for me this year. My group did some drives with powder guns here in snowy and cold central New York. Two does were scared, none were harmed. I had a nice 1.5 year old basket six hustle past me at about 4O yards. We let the small ones walk and hunt the does and big horns. Specially since we took a few bigger bucks already off the farm. I know, you can't eat horns. Oh, I did miss a coyote that presented itself on a flat out run. We gots a lot of dogs around. 20 degrees, snowing, wind from the east on Saturday and then from the Northwest on Sunday. Brrr. Water holes freezing up. Deer herd starting to move toward the lake (Cayuga) with this early blast of winter. Did not carry the flinter. We had more **lines than traditional as per usual. Did carry the caplock and there was another capper too. We discussed the cessation of TC arms making traditional guns (I brought it up). No one else seemed to care. No one is interested in the traditional ways it seems. I will make of point of bringing the flint next year. Some one has to do it. :wink:

I'm still after them until sundown January 1st...out here right...pretty day, temps in the 40's, (no nasty snow) hope to see one around dark...buck or Doe, doesn't matter

Tough,bad here also_Our area has 3 trad clubs.Probably 50 or so shooters and growing every yr.Trad lives on in the area i'm in.We do a shoot from April till August and a 3 day Rondy in Sept.Some shoots in between. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Griz

At least you were out and about in the snow. I love carrying a MLer when there is snow!

I carried mine in Pa's regular rifle season, but didn't get a shot at a deer or coyote. Flintlock deer comes in after Christmas, so more Pa deer hunting to come!

I have tomorrow left, but just can't stand the bitter cold like I used to. I am planning on going out but it has to warm up some. I just checked the temp outside and it is at +5f right now. I have hunted enough cold this year to not go out in single digit temps like I used to. :surrender:

Jim

One of the things that I like about black powder is that around here, the competition just falls off. More like deer scatterers. They just don't give them a break.

So it seems that during muzzle loader season the deer almost start to calm down a bit and resume some normal activity, and the cold sure helps to get them moving. The cold is no joke, and seems to get a little harder each year. I really try to pick my fights. If its single digits and the wind is blowing, I'm staying in. Or I try to seek out a sheltered area. And when I do go out in the bitter cold, I have boot warmers in each boot, hand warmers in each breast pocket, many, many layers, turtle neck, scarf, balaclave, and wool hat. The last time I fell asleep while hunting, that would be about everytime, but the real last time, I had so many clothes on, that my head didn't even fall over while I was sleeping. :grin:

I never had the opportunity to do drives and such. I don't hunt with groups, and don't have many folks I'm that close with.

I've learned that there isn't much sense in going out before the sun comes up, at least where I hunt. Anytime from 9am on, and you never know what will happen. It's almost like the deer don't expect to see you.

I do enjoy suffering through a good chill and then coming home to a warm wood stove. And when you get a deer it is so worth it.

Late muzzleloader season is quite special. Glad you have some meat in your freezer.

ny griz said:
Our area has 3 trad clubs.Probably 50 or so shooters and growing every yr.Trad lives on in the area i'm in. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Griz

You Sir are a very lucky man :thumbsup:

NY Griz, I am only an hour from Whitney Point. What are the traditional club names in your area? I would love to see one of those shoots sometime. And the Rondy would be a hoot also, I'm sure.

Steve

Wouldn't you know it, season ended Tuesday and today 2 deer walk across my yard. :doh:
They may just be telling me something.

Jim

They know the seasons. I was on a bear hunt and got up to make breakfast, only to find a mule deer doe in camp. I pulled my 357 mag Ruger and pointed it at her and she just looked at me as if to say" you know I'm not in season", put her head down and started eating grass. Stayed in camp about 20 minutes while I cooked then walked off. :idunno:

Hey DirtySteve Newark Valley(Old Hickory BP) Oxford Club in Oxford,and the best one Whitney Point Sportsmens Club.The one i'm in.Ask Sleeper he's about an hour away and shoots all our shoots.If your really interest e-mail me [email protected]

:haha: Jim you had the best stand you could want,in the house.Were working on something like last yr.Free breakfast and display of trad guns and other trad stuff.Like last yr.I'll keep in touch.I'll be sending you out the new schedule soon.Did you see the write up in the Group Tightner?Your pic also.Talk to you soon.First shoot in March(cabin Fever Shoot.) Griz

Let me know if you do the display day like last year. I want to be a part of that. Ya I had a warm day to watch deer for sure. The first of the now over season. LOL

Jim

Back