• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small pitting vs accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdie all

Recently I had acquired a 1860 Army in .44 of course. Make and details in separate post in very near future.
When I took it apart at home I noticed a quarter inch darker spot looking like a pitting or something like that. It's located about 1.5in from the breach and it's rather shallow. Screwdriver doesn't even stop on it. Just a spot. Would this little dot have any effect on accuracy? Would this pistol be safe to fire? No other signs like rings and such.
All input greatly appreciated.
Thank You All

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my 1860 clones has a gouge that's 1/4 inch long about halfway between breech and muzzle. It has not affected accuracy in any way. I'm sure this sort of thing can affect accuracy, I just got lucky.

The discoloration won't hurt a thing.

The gun is still safe to shoot and it will shoot as accurately as it did before whatever damage you see was done.

If I were you, I would just consider it to be a part of the guns character. :thumbsup:

I should have stated that mine is also inside the barrel. It has had about 500 rounds through it since I barked it up, but the accuracy is just fine. I do, however, inspect it as best I can after each cleaning.

More than likely it will not hurt the accuracy. Just don't let the crown on the muzzle get dinged or dented in any way since that will hurt your accuracy.

HH 60

I'm talking about inside the barrel too. :grin:

A discoloration or slightly rusted spot will not cause a problem.

If it is severely rusted to the point that the rifling is damaged they it will still be safe to shoot but its accuracy will be poor.
It will also be a real PITA to clean.

Roger that Sir! It looks pretty innocent to me. There is also a minimal pitting/rust spots/wear at the muzzle, but rifling is still there;) Thank You All

I plan to do it next saturday since today I'm on my baby duty. My wife went shopping.

It has been my experience in building, pistols rifles, (crowning, threading and lapping) that pitting, if not in the forcing cone or crown, has by itself) no discernible impact on accuracy.It is a factor only if it causes lead build up or fouling, particularly, in naked bullet shooting.
I used to believe it was a major cause of leading when shooting naked grease bullets but since acquiring a Hawkeye bore scope have found that not to necessarily be the case either.
Barrel bore level changes, ie "tight and loose spots" have far more to do with accuracy than does pitting in my opinion because it screws with harmonics and the gas seal.
As long as it does not cut the patch in ball shooting I don't believe it has any effect there either, at least as far as I can tell. MD

Latest posts

Back