• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small game- .32 cal vs smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw heck - get what pleases YOU. My original half stock .32, even with a rusted bore, kills stuff within 30 yards and is not hard to clean between shots. I HAD a Dixie .32 caplock mountain rifle that was a royal pain. The long barrel required, of course, a long flimsy ramrod (which broke). Fouled terribly ...etc. Kept original, sold repo.

42" Flintlock Fowler in 12 gauge is, for me, just plain fun. Easy to load, versatile, and easy to clean. No backstop problems, packs a whollop for those big fox squirrels snoozing way up on a limb. It'll kill any small game - fur or feathers, so if I had only one hunting gun - that's my choice.

I pulled the trigger on a Kibler SMR in 32 caliber for small game. It took about a year to decide between the SMR and a smoothbore. I plan on doing a 62 smoothbore in a trade gun next.
My process was more in reverse. I foolishly thought "all I need" is a 20 gauge Smoothbore. "I want to be a one gun hunter." I wasn't exactly wrong, I wouldn't need more, but found I wanted a .32 (got an older CVA Varmint caplock because I didn't own any caplocks). These things can get pretty addictive.

My process was more in reverse. I foolishly thought "all I need" is a 20 gauge Smoothbore. "I want to be a one gun hunter." I wasn't exactly wrong, I wouldn't need more, but found I wanted a .32 (got an older CVA Varmint caplock because I didn't own any caplocks). These things can get pretty addictive.
They do become addictive. That is why I am already planning my next build. I will never be a gun maker, but I like assembling the PC kits for generations to come. They will tell a story about our family and the history of this nation if my heirs want to hear it. So my two cents go for the .32. You will not regret it. Thanks for reading my comments.

I started out with a smoothbore (Pedersoli Brown Bess). My range limit is 20 yards (for any critter when using shot). I was getting frustrated by the number of misses on squirrels (seems there is no rhyme nor reason as to where the holes in the pattern occur).

I picked up a Pedersoli frontier caplock in .36 caliber. It is a true joy to shoot and carry for all the reasons previously mentioned.

I’d hate to have to pick between one or the other.

…..so get both!

;)

Shooting squirrels in trees should really be done with shot. A ball goes a long way and can be deadly on it’s way back down.

I am not so sure a small ball coming down out of the sky at a steep angle is that much of a danger to anyone or anything. The velocity would be so low that property damage or physical injury would be unlikely.
Don’t get me wrong-we should avoid setting up situations where a bullet might hit someone. But I am not willing to forego all shooting of bullets up into the sky. By hunting in locations where
I am out of range of houses or roads where people walk or ride bicycles I can take take unintended injury out of the equation.
Before shooting at something in a tree or peak of an old barn with a rifle I am always cognizant of where that bullet might land, and may pass up the shot
Where I hunt, tree shots taken at fairly steep angle overhead are pretty safe. Even shots on lower limbs and fenceposts are safe most of the time.

Back