• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do I load a .32 rifle for small game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaiserFred3

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Traditions Crockett rifle and I would like to konw what kind of load will be good for things like rabbits and squirrels? Also if the crockett rifle can be used as a sort of shotgun for small game?

First off, howdy and welcome to the forum.
Shooting shot thru a rifled barrel tends to give you "doughnut " patterns, where you hit everything EXCEPT what your aiming it. It's also hard on the rifling, and the 32 would be a tiny bore for shot. I'd stick to a single round ball.

The Lyman black powder manual doesn't have 32 caliber data, but the 28" barrel 36 caliber with a 70 grain ball and 25 grains fffg is about 1330fps.
The 32 ball is around 50 grains in weight, so about 15 grains fffg would be a nice starting load. You just wanna kill them, not skin them as well.

I'm certain there's some 32 shooters who will chime in soon.

First off, howdy and welcome to the forum.
Shooting shot thru a rifled barrel tends to give you "doughnut " patterns, where you hit everything EXCEPT what your aiming it. It's also hard on the rifling, and the 32 would be a tiny bore for shot. I'd stick to a single round ball.

The Lyman black powder manual doesn't have 32 caliber data, but the 28" barrel 36 caliber with a 70 grain ball and 25 grains fffg is about 1330fps.
The 32 ball is around 50 grains in weight, so about 15 grains fffg would be a nice starting load. You just wanna kill them, not skin them as well.

I'm certain there's some 32 shooters who will chime in soon.
Alright. Thank you very much. I just thought that I could use it with shot, just was not sure.

Alright. Thank you very much. I just thought that I could use it with shot, just was not sure.
Most of us have tried shot in a rifled barrel. Most didn't continue to try it. But it's your gun, so as you wish.
The 32 ball is 25% heavier than a 22 LR, so if you don't hot rod it you'll get similar performance. Everything in America has been taken with the 22, so that's not damming with faint praise.

everything @Eterry says will get you started.
just remember the .32's are not magnums. avoid the idea of hot-rodding with heavy loads, unless you find that is what YOUR gun likes.
over time i have found that for .45 and above a "square load" i.e. .45 cal, 45 grains of powder is a very good starting point.
when it comes to a .32 (mine is actually .30, and i have to use .285 balls) 32 grains is more like a top end load, and a lighter load gives the best accuracy. 32 grains approaches skinning, gutting, and cooking load.
just my ramblings.

everything @Eterry says will get you started.
just remember the .32's are not magnums. avoid the idea of hot-rodding with heavy loads, unless you find that is what YOUR gun likes.
over time i have found that for .45 and above a "square load" i.e. .45 cal, 45 grains of powder is a very good starting point.
when it comes to a .32 (mine is actually .30, and i have to use .285 balls) 32 grains is more like a top end load, and a lighter load gives the best accuracy. 32 grains approaches skinning, gutting, and cooking load.
just my ramblings.
I just wish those Internets were around when I started in 1980. My CVA manual gave a maximum load of 70grs fffg but no beginning load.

Not knowing anyone to ask advice my dad said try 60grs an see what it does.
Well it killed everything it hit, but ruined plenty of small game before someone said try 40grs. Even that was pretty harsh on cottontails.

I have a percussion and flint lock in .32. Both seem to shoot 20 grains of 3f very well out to 50 yards. Velocity is about the same as a .22 RF high velocity load (1500 FPS) The standard .310 ball weighs the same as a standard .22 RF at 40 grains. The .32 will do everything that a .22 RF will do to about the same yardage. Wind is the only culprit when shooting the .32. The little balls tend to drift in the breeze. You may wind up using a loading block to load your .32. The small balls are hard to handle, especially if you have Vienna Sausage fingers like mine.

I had a crocket and shot about 22-25 grains of Goex 3f . . but I did try everything in it even pyrodex as well as various patch sizes and lubes . . . and was never fully satisfied. Hanshi on this forum had a lot of Crocket load recommendations that were very helpful. The Crocket has a very good reputation, and it's a sweet feeling rifle, but I bought mine used and I think I kind of got a lemon . . . it also had a horrible issue with the breech grabbing patches and rod jags, etc.

I sold it and built a TVM Lancaster flint in 32 with a Rice barrel that I think is 42 inches long. It shoots very well with almost any load, unlike my Crocket . . . I actually shoot on the high end with 30 grains of Goex 3 F . . . I spoke with Jason Rice of Rice Barrels about that being a hot load, but he didn't think it was unusual.

I think my biggest drawback with the 32 for me, is my living in suburbia and having no place to shoot outdoors. The rifle is more accurate than I am . . . only practice can fix that. If I could shoot my rifle more, I might be able to get to a lower accurate load. If you can pick up a .32 and quickly become proficient at it, you're a better rifleman than me, but it can be done as many on this forum can attest to. The 32 takes more practice, patience, and precision as a squirrel head is like trying to hit a golf ball. Much harder than a deer-size target or group with say a 50. But I am a fan of the caliber.

I should say that the Crocket was my first ML rifle and it almost ended my venture into black powder. It was not an easy rifle to learn on . . . again, there may have been issues with my rifle . . but I did learn . . a few years later I bought a Lyman GPR flint and got it running much easier and quicker and have taken two deer with it. . .and never had a bad shot in the woods. In my frustration, with my particular Crocket, I bought Dutch Schultz's shooting program which was one of the best moves I ever made in this hobby. Dutch has passed on, but his info is out there. The big takeaway is consistent loading steps, every step, every time. . .which is particularly critical with smaller calibers.

Last edited:
20 grns of 3f works well in mine when I take it out. Arthritis makes it hard to load for me as well as cold does too. All you need is a load to reach the top of trees and rabbits usually within 25 or 30 yards. Don't need a magnum load at all.

I typically sight my 32s in at 25 yards to be an inch high (think chin hold on a squirrel) using 12 to 15 grains of 4F or 3F Swiss under a patched 1-1/2 buck. Find this load about an inch low at 50 yards. Plenty for well placed shots on small game.

Latest posts

Back