• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note, what does one do to adapt loading of steel in the ML

On another note, what does one do to adapt loading of steel in the ML smoothbore?
Make sure the barrel will be able to use steel. I'm under the impression that older barrels can be damaged by it??

Make sure the barrel will be able to use steel. I'm under the impression that older barrels can be damaged by it??
Good point! This is a modern barrel from the '70's so it's probably ok. It's an ML but I'm not sure if it meets the traditional requirements of the forum, so no pictures.

It's an H&R Huntsman. Most were made with rifle barrels. It's a break action with a removable plug and takes a #11 cap.

Good point! This is a modern barrel from the '70's so it's probably ok. It's an ML but I'm not sure if it meets the traditional requirements of the forum, so no pictures.

It's an H&R Huntsman. Most were made with rifle barrels. It's a break action with a removable plug and takes a #11 cap.
No, not really forum compliant.
Unless the barrel is chrome lined, or otherwise rated for steel shot, you will need special shot cups to protect the barrel. And, if the barrel has a constriction choke you may have issues there too if the constriction is too tight.

Last edited:
@Brokennock it looks to be cylinder but I'll measure it to be certain. The gun was an economical way to see if I actually want to pursue a traditional smoothbore. If I find it engaging I'll go forward with a traditional gun.

Latest posts

Back