• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience building their kits? They look to be a good deal.

Could you be more specific about what you want to know?

Good deal is relative, as you are obviously not going to get the quality or accuracy that is offered in a more expensive parts set.

Enjoy, J.D.

I am wanting to build my first rifle kit. I am wanting to build the poor boy kit. I want a decent kit, but dont need Chambers quality.

As long as I understand your statement that you don't need Chambers' quality means that you are only referring to the quality of their kits. Because you do want the quality of their locks on whatever kit you build.:wink:

You can do OK with a Southern Mountain gun stock from any number of sources. Were me, I would steer away from any that were pre-inlet for a Siler or any other Germanic style lock as they just weren't used down there.

You can always request that they don't inlet the lock and then inlet a Chambers' Late Ketland. Besides the fact that it's right, it is also one of the fastest out there.

Now, all that being said, I wouldn't use Sitting Fox for a stock personally. The don't produce 'em, he's only a middle man. If I wanted an SMR stock I would place my order with somebody who makes their own stocks, like David Keck at Knob Mountain or Pecatonica River as they can send you exactly what you want.

Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
As long as I understand your statement that you don't need Chambers' quality means that you are only referring to the quality of their kits. Because you do want the quality of their locks on whatever kit you build.:wink:

You can do OK with a Southern Mountain gun stock from any number of sources. Were me, I would steer away from any that were pre-inlet for a Siler or any other Germanic style lock as they just weren't used down there.

You can always request that they don't inlet the lock and then inlet a Chambers' Late Ketland. Besides the fact that it's right, it is also one of the fastest out there.

Now, all that being said, I wouldn't use Sitting Fox for a stock personally. The don't produce 'em, he's only a middle man. If I wanted an SMR stock I would place my order with somebody who makes their own stocks, like David Keck at Knob Mountain or Pecatonica River as they can send you exactly what you want.

Enjoy, J.D.

JD, well put.

In this hobby/endeavor, quality is the only thing that counts. :confused: Because everything is directly related to the next or previous step. If you want "cheap", then buy a $100.00 CVA from e-bay and re-do it

I built one of their kits about a year and a half ago and didn't have a bit of trouble with it. As with any build ,be specific about everything when you talk to them. Mine was a fowler with a davis lock and the quality was exactly what I expected.

Ron

Back