• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a flintlock boys rifle from Sitting Fox. It turned out to be a great rifle for my son.

.45 caliber 33" CVA barrel turned octagon to round to keep it light for a young shooter. It has a Chambers Queen Anne pistol lock, and precarved plain maple stock. I did the lock inlet to gain experience.

What are your thoughts on the kit? Easy to do, medium or really a lot of work?
How was the stock? And parts quality??

Been thinking of doing one from them soon but not sure of the quality as pictures can be 'fudged'. Hate to spend $500-$800 and get something too easy or cheap.

Thanks.

Cheers,
DonK

You will get what you pay for. Spend the money and get a good component kit. Chambers kits are among the best.

msuspartandon said:
Hate to spend $500-$800 and get something too easy or cheap.

For $500 or so, you won't have to worry about getting anything to "easy"....now "cheap" on the other hand, as has been stated...you get what you pay for.

As I understand it, Sitting Fox is just a middle man operation. "Kits"...actually "parts sets" as kit indicates something ready to assemble to me...from them can vary as they procure the parts from different sources to assemble the set.

If you go with somebody like Chambers or Knob Mountain...or Don Stith if you are a Hawken man...you will know you are getting quality with each parts set as they procure their castings from one source and they are reputed to be amoung "the best" and from what I have personnally observed...they are.

Now, you will find those operations to be more limited in their parts selection, but when going with quality your options are going to be more limited.

Good luck and enjoy, J.D.

Personally, I don't mind a lot of work...kind of get some satisfaction out of it.

However, I don't like work of unknown quantity though. I know we all don't have the opportunity to select our parts first hand...it is then I would error on the side of caution and go with a dealer of known reptable. I find I save both time and money in the long run.

Not trying to cast dispersions on Sitting Fox, as I have NO personal experience with them, just putting my OPINION out there.

Enjoy, J.D.

The kit was no more difficult then the 2 Dunlap kits I've built or the one Curtis kit I'm currently working on.

For $399.00 it is good deal.

Don't expect a grade 4 curly maple stock and Rice barrel for those prices. The brass is fine.

My feeling is Ray does what he can to keep the cost down.

Built the club butt fowler, one of my favorite guns.
Barrel is a good quality 20 ga smoothie, Re davis large trade lock, brass is good, stock is plain maple, a little soft, but ok. Ray is a good honest guy, you won't be dissapointed.

Back