• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sight slides out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsh trapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guys i have a 32 cal pedersoli frontier and my rear sight keeps sliding out dont know why :idunno: what would be a way to better fix it would a little super glue on the bottom base be out of the question? ..i just got the gun shooting right and would like a quick (reliable)fix to do some squirrel and coon hunting this week.
thanks

Just slide it out and peen the base a little bit. Put one edge on something solid like a bench vise and tap the other edge. It won't take much to thicken it up a little bit. Then tap it back into the dovetail. This way you can still adjust it for windage and you won't have little dimples showing from centerpunching the edge of the dovetail.

I think the idea is to center punch a few dimples on the bottom of either the sight (my choice) or on the flat area in the dove tail grove thats milled into the top of the barrel.
The dimples form tiny craters with raised rings around the dimples. Its these raised rings that take up the slack space acting like a thin shim. When the sight is tapped back into the dove tail grove it will now fit tightly.

Yeah I was going to mention useing a punch to raise a dimple or two as well. Also with the sight out you can take a small brass hammer and tap the edges of the sight slot and it just takes a little to close the gap. If you know where you want the sight a little blue lock tight would do it as well! Geo. T.

Get another sight to fit to the barrel dovetall. That way you don't have to "buger up" the barrel you can file the sight to fit.

Actually, it's not going to bugger up the barrel. The center punch marks will be totally hidden as it is done inside the dove tail channel, then covered up by the sight when re-installed. It is best to use a brass rod on the edge of the sight when tapping it back into place.

newhunter said:
Get another sight to fit to the barrel dovetall. That way you don't have to "buger up" the barrel you can file the sight to fit.

super glue then go hunting. lots of cold days coming to punch things right in the next few months

The trouble with peening or dimpling is you will still be able to see daylight underneath from the side.
I use a little different approach and if done carefully you will not see the shim very readily and it will push the sight back down to the bottom of the dovetail where it belongs.
I carefully check the shim stock thickness needed then cut one out the width and extra length of the upper, back, dove tail shoulder in the barrel.This will leave a tab out both sides.
Insert the shim and bend over one end to form a keep tab. Drift back in the sight with a piece of delrin from the bent tab side and when you have it where you want it, lift the tab and score the under side of the shim at each side with a dry wall knife carefully and not all the way through but as close to the sight as possible. I do this at an angle toward the sight body and only lightly. You don't need to try and cut through. To make it break cleaner score both sides if possible of each tab . Now bend it up and down a few times and it will break off flush with the side of the sight and barrel dovetail.
Put a dab of magic marker or cold blue on both ends of the shim break off and you will need a magnifier to see it. MD

fur trapper said:
thanks everyone i will try what you guys have suggested and report back
Softly, SOFTLY Just wanted to remind you take your time, do it right, have your rifle/barrel firmly in place. As you (& I) have never taken a punch to a dovetail before. I would go slow Tap light, and stop and ask if you think something seems iffy. better :yakyak: then :doh:

haha very true sean and dusty u think super glue would be all id hav to do to fix it?. and M.D. thanks for the advice i will report back to u guys when i get to it hopefully this evening

I agree that a shim is the way to go. Used a bit of copper for my Trapper front sight. Now it is nice and snug. :thumbsup:

I've shimmed a couple myself. Works well and is 100% reversible. :thumbsup:

well guys i went to go shim it ( with an old copper leg trap tag)of mine fig its thin enough and picked up gun and no sight so it must have fallen off somewheres .... so now im in market for a new rear sight that fits pedersoli frontier any suggestions :idunno:

Well there,not exactly the "fix"I would have gone for but it looks like it worked!!!!Most palces that have BP supplies hanging on the wall have sights. I like BP's,, there is always something to be done to them!!!!
When you get all the tinkering done,it's time to go shoot them,,,,

Measure the dovetail and order a sight you like from TOW or anther supplier and fit it yourself. Fairly easy fix. The dovetail slot on the rifle should be tapered left to right, so the same taper should be filed on the new sight. Need to leave enough metal to make a tight tap-in fit on the new sight. I've also drilled and tapped a small hole for a set screw in the sight base if there is room. Not PC, but it works.

Back