• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Side Seam Moccasin project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some images

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/beauty-identity-pride/

Scroll down and hit images

So holes only at the base then wrap around. Will do that in the next one. I still see this as good practice, the Mukluks should be true since Il use Moose leather for it.
What about using the Mink oil on the surface? I saw in some of the tutes they put bear grease on the surface.
This leather was also stiff and did not keep the wrap, slippery since the top side was slick, so I would have had problems with just wraping lace around it, thats what I found using the cord.
Thanks!

Nez-Perce1-1024x687.jpg

Dragonsfire said:
What about using the Mink oil on the surface? I saw in some of the tutes they put bear grease on the surface.
This leather was also stiff and did not keep the wrap, slippery since the top side was slick, so I would have had problems with just wraping lace around it, thats what I found using the cord.
Thanks!

I've tried lots of things on leather and finally settled on Track of the Wolf's Mink Oil Tallow for leather treatment. It's my choice of patch lubes and a dandy leather treatment. Can't beat the price either, at $6.79 for a big 8 oz tin.

Took them for a brisk walk,about an hour.
Feel good, they loosened up, can fit another pair of socks on. The wear on the heal is a problem, need to reinforce that. Went into a bank and almost slipped on the floor, so not good on smooth surfaces. Took a brush to the chalk and still does not want to come off, have to wait to oil that area or it will be permanent.

cvSysEN.jpg

Couldnt get rid of the blue chalk, even by rubbing it with a file, don't recommend sewing chalk on leather.
So I decided to put a strip of leather on their basically killing two birds with one stone. Two holes now and wrap around lace. Once the oil is worked il do some touch ups.

VbrX6dC.jpg

Not sure if they still have them but last year Princess auto was selling french military surplus rubber over boots for 5 bucks a pair. Over a pair of moccasins they are great. thick wool socks, moccasins and those rubbers make a warmer boot then the best kamik boots I own. When it is time to still hunt/stalk the rubbers come off silently and easily. (though the rubber is pretty quiet).

Your gonna like still hunting in those alot amazing how much of a difference it makes. Only thing better is three layers of your best Hudterite wool socks with a piece of sheepskin on the sole of the outer pair.

I use these for daily use, I had to add some crepe rubber on the soles for safety issues, slippery on smooth surfaces. I use a pair of wool socks and they are very comfortable as said, very happy with them. I also learned in the process its important to put a sole on their, soft or hard, they tend to turn if you don't so you would get uneven ware.
We have winter since October first, their very nice and the mink oil coating works well,-22c right now :)

38094896656_8b42c24cb5_b.jpg

Wes/Tex said:
What the hell is that white stuff?! :wink: :rotf:
I hear tell of stuff coming down from the sky called "snow." Seems to land mostly north of the 49th parallel. That's the rumor, anyway. :rotf:

Don't call it the Great White North for no reason :wink:

Mocs turned out pretty good. On my to do list before spring.. Was gifted some moose hide
Leroy

I'm at 38.9717°, not too far from your latitude. And I ain't seen any of that stuff in any amount yet. :grin:

If central Texas ever got enough snow to cover mowed grass we'd be in real trouble. Only those who moved here from Michigan or Minnesota seem to know you can't drive your pickup 75 just cause there's ice and snow! :shocked2: :rotf:

I had a pair of moccasins way back when but I only wore them a very few times. Like you, I found them to be very slick on smooth surfaces, especially wet or damp smooth surfaces. On wet grass they were slick as snot on a door knob and promised serious injury. I traded them off and good riddance. You did well to add a rubber sole to yours. I didn't have such material readily available back then. If I had, I may have kept mine.

Make yourself a pair, I love mine, crepe rubber is expensive (at least in Canada), I buy it when its half price. A heal is important too so it does not ware out. Crepe last a long time.

wPO655b.jpg

Latest posts

Back