• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

side lock made in japan ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i was looking in a pawn shop friday to buy a hand gun that i did buy. then i seen a few muzzle loaders hummm lets take a look i see a t/c renagade was nice then i see a CVA forgot what model it was. then i see this cant remember the mfgr name but it is made by the same company that makes the browning shotgun according to the owner. it was a side lock cap #11's long barrel full stock to the muzzle double set triggers excellent bore 54 cal. any one know anything about this rifle ??? do not see to many full stocks on ML other than oh a Kentucky reproduction. i did not buy it because i was broke after spending about $200.00 on the hand gun. i might go back and put it on lay a way. oh the price $70.00 these guns any good or bad i sure did like it more than the t/c .

Hello from Germany!

Was the name perhaps Miroku! They made fine shotguns and also ML.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I have heard both good and bad about the Japan imports over the years, at one time some had welded breeches if I recall, I think one would want to check it out closely or have a ML smith look it over.

hi from a the USA my last name is erzinger grand mother was swishentenberg (sp)sound German ? LOL

i messed up i put this post in the wrong forum.

yes that sounds like the name. used one of the drop down bore lights looked like a new bore. it looked like it was well made. the wood was dark and kind of plane. but might polish up nice.. no rust that i could see on it.

The Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle was made by that Japanese company. They were excellent looking and shooting rifles. I sure wish that I still had mine. I had both the .50 and .32 calibers at one time. I don't know why Dixie stopped importing them. In my opinion they were better built rifles than Pedersoli.

i think i will go back and put it on lay away.
there was no name brand on it just the mfgr and .54 cal might have had made in japan. nice looker

The Tennessee Mountain Rifle was never offered in .54 caliber to my knowledge, only 50 and 32. I have a .50 and they are nice rifles. You can spot them since they will have steel trim and a simple hole in the buttstock for tallow. Does the gun you are looking at have a one piece stock, or is there a brass spacer in the forestock?

Seventy bucks?!?!?!

If it's a Dixie TN Mtn rifle, (which I kind of doubt), the lock is worth nearly that amount.
Get that rifle. Since it's in good shape, you should be able to re-sell it easily if you decide you don't want it. Like to me!!!

i did not see Dixie or tn. mt. rifle on it. will go back monday and look again. and take a pic or two if he will let me take some.

Maybe you missed the part where I suggested you "GET THAT RIFLE"!!!!!
If I lived near NW Tennessee, I'd consider taking Monday off and prowling the pawns to find that rifle. Even if you aren't smitten after you buy it, you could resell it for a modest to fine profit.

If it's a 54 cal it's not a Dixie (unless someone did a rebarrel). The DTMR only came in .32 and .50.

The other possibility is that it was a custom rifle built with a Japanese made lock. Dixie sold those locks for years (and may still sell them) and many of them probably ended up in custom builds. They weren't great locks, but aren't terrible either and can be made better with some tuning. I have a percussion lock that came with my rifle in the off chance that I ever wanted to convert it to percussion.

there closed on sundays. oh you will not find it in tn. i moved out of state last month. :blah: :rotf:

i went back to the shop this morning i had to put it on lay a way. this is what it says in the barrel
"mfg for ultra-hi by miroku japan 128xx."
"proof tested"
".45 cal black powder only"
must have got the other ML's mixed up with this one. has single trigger. the trigger guard is sand cast brass unpolished. the end cap on stock is also sand cast unpolished. yes it does have the wide brass band on the stock in front of the hammer. bore is like new crown like new. i forgot to take my camera there. one thing has me puzzled on the hammer side of the stock there a patch box would be is a brass plate looks like a old thumb stone.goes all the way back to the but stock. and it is screwed down with 5 screws??? was thinking there was a patch box on it and got broken,lost who knows and they made the plate to cover it up. or did not put a hinge and a catch on it. the stock could use refinishing back by that brass plate is some heavy sanding marks. not sure what wood is used for the stock.it's nothing fancy at all. with the unpolished parts i was thinking that it might have been a kit gun at one time.

Yeah, I've got one just like it. I paid $40 for it used about 20 or more years ago. I think they were kit guns, mine was finished with a hideous red "cherry" stain, covered by polyurethane, which took a lot of stripping and sanding to remove. The metal was finished with a coarse file by someone, and it has the same brass sideplate on the butt, no patch box. The wood is some nondescript Asian Rim hardwood that is is on the soft end of the scale for hardwood, but has held together for me. The trigger was missing the piece that trips the sear and replaced by a piece of coat hanger. After I finished re-engineering that, I took it out and shot it. It's really a .44 caliber by my way of thinking, .440 balls barely fit with the thinnest patches I had (.010"). .433 balls with .015" patches work well. It's reasonably accurate, certainly enough for hunting. I plan to use it this muzzleloading season for deer, it weighs alot less than my fullstock .54 flintlock! I drew a buck tag, but no elk for the first time in 15 years.
I asked some questions about this rifle several weeks ago on this forum, and it was recommended because of the barrel diameter to only shoot roundballs in it with about 60 grs. 3f as a maximum powder charge.

i was looking on the web my self for info thehighroad.com has one or two post on it. they say the same to one use 44 cal pistol balls is your stock thin this one is behind the trigger that is. 1 or two post said it is a fake patch box. as thin as that stock is on mine i do not think i would try to make it functional but might make a plate with out the screw holes and epoxy it on. i want to refinish the stock but have no idea what stain to use on it . i kind if like lighter wood finishes for same reason. i had a few rifle stocks that i used no stain at all just stripped it and used tru-oil only and looked pretty good. but not sure on how that would look on this gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd save my $70 and add some money to it and buy a nicer rifle. And there is simply no way this gun compares in quality to a T/C. They didn't last on the market for long due to poor quality. Even the finished guns looked like badly assembled kit guns.

thanks but it will work for me. not big on hunting i just plink around and not real often.
but i will take donations to buy a T/C :grin:

Back