• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Showing off a little.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMan

Blunderbuss
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine finished this pistol up for me a couple weeks ago. I’m a tree guy and I asked him to find a piece of curly ash for the build since ash trees are becoming a thing of the past. I’m gonna use it in my shooting matches. I love it. Rice barrel with an LC Rice lock. He had some scrap copper lying around he used for the butt cap. Shot it a little trying to find a load but it’s just too cold and nasty to keep experimenting . Here’s the pistol and first 25 yard target. 45 caliber.

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3420.jpeg
    IMG_3420.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3419.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3418.jpeg
    IMG_3418.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
That is pretty. Wait till that wood ages a bit. It will be even more striking! You can help it along if you put it in the sun for awhile. Just keep it on a table in a sunny window this winter, then you can admire it every day!

A good friend of mine finished this pistol up for me a couple weeks ago. I’m a tree guy and I asked him to find a piece of curly ash for the build since ash trees are becoming a thing of the past. I’m gonna use it in my shooting matches. I love it. Rice barrel with an LC Rice lock. He had some scrap copper lying around he used for the butt cap. Shot it a little trying to find a load but it’s just too cold and nasty to keep experimenting . Here’s the pistol and first 25 yard target. 45 caliber.
With that grain run "which is spectacular by the way" I sure hope you have a reinforcing rod running up the length of that hand grip our your likely to have a two piece stock one of these days.
It should run from the butt cap clear up under the tang and be glass bedded in place.

Do you know what method your friend used to get the figuring to stand out so well?
Beautiful, I love curly ash. To answer Wiscoasters question, it looks like a light stain/dye and his favorite finish. Ash has some striking grain, it doesn't take much to make it show its stuff. One of the nicest flintlock rifles I've seen had a curly ash stock and dark brown stain, it was beautiful.

Striking wood, good shooting too, and it will only get better. It's a shame all our ash was killed off here years ago by the borer, nothing left now but suckers. What's your load if you don't mind me asking?

Back