• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duca

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. Went out shooting today.it's BEEN a while. I usually load the rifle and then pick the vent hole before I prime the pan. Well after a few shots I would get a misfire. I then tried not picking before I primed the pan. And all was well. Anyone else have any thoughts on this. What do some of you guys do?

After I take a shot, I run a cotton pipe cleaner thru mine, Then I load and fire, very rarely do I have a flash in the pan. Of coarse I also keep my pan and flint clean also.

armakiller said:
After I take a shot, I run a cotton pipe cleaner thru mine, Then I load and fire, very rarely do I have a flash in the pan. Of coarse I also keep my pan and flint clean also.
I here ya Armakiller. I to keep things clean. After a few shots I'll wipe the pan, frizzin, and flint. I will use a Qtip to clean the face of the touch hole also use a pipe cleaner.

duca
I discovered mine does not like the touch hole picked after loading either. I use my vent pick as soon as I fire,then load,prime and fire.
Macon

good to hear Macon Due. I also heard that they used to put a feather in the touch hole while they loaded. Like to try that one day. Had a Fun Shot at my Club today. Me and another guy ran the Black Powder part of it. Was alot of fun. He had two cap locks and I had my Flinter. Its always a crowd attraction.

If you are shooting a chambered Breech rifle, like you find with the T/C, Lyman, and CVA guns, or many of the imports, you need to use FFFg powder to flow through the tiny flash channel that leads from the back of the powder chamber to the TH. Do NOT pick the channel with anything, After its filled with powder from loading. Picking will simply move the powder away from the TH and make the gun more difficult to ignite the main charge of powder.

If you are shooting a flat faced Breechplug flintlock, with the normal TH on the side, you can shoot your choice of powders, FFg or FFFg. Picking the TH is for the purpose of exposing more granules of powder to the heat from the ignited priming charge in the pan. Clearing powder away from the mouth of the TH with the pick allows that ignition of multiple grains of powder to occur. An inside coned TH Liner, like the Chambers White Lightning liner, allows powder to stay near the TH, but for you to have a center HOLE in the powder across the width of the barrel's bore.

That allows multiple grains of powder to ignite, not just those near the TH. Igniting more grains is like touching off multiple fuses in the barrel. The powder charge in the barrel ignites faster than if you only light one grain(fuse) at the mouth of the TH.

The current state of manufacturer of breech plugs with powder chambers leaves very small holes and flash channels in these breeches, and the do not allow BP the Granular size of FFg powder to flow easily through those channels, UNLESS the channels Are Absolutely clean and dry, of oils, greases, and debris. Some of the imports seen have casting trash( dross) left in those narrow flash channels- as if the gun was being marketed as a wall-hanger!

A drill bit run through that flash channel will clean up the hole, make it round, and smooth it for shooting. Enlarge both the flash channel, and the hole entering the powder chamber and you eliminate the restrictions against using FFg powder in those guns, too.

Back