• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the Harper's Ferry today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN.Frank

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I just got done cleaning up the 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle that I got in a swap. It's a 58cal, not the 54 so it's not a totally accurate copy but it did shoot pretty well once the "new" wore off of the frizzen. Seems like on the last couple flintlocks that I've got that were new and unfired it took a couple shots for the frizzen to start sparking right. Anyway, I used a .562" ball with a .009" patch lubed with Crisco and 60grs of 3fg Goes. Hit straight but just a bit low. May up the powder charge to 70grs and see what that'll do.
I really do like Crisco a lot better then the olive oil I was using. I don't know if it's because I'm using a thinner patch or what, but the olive oil just doesn't seem to lube as well as Crisco does. Think I'll switch back to Crisco and leave the olive oil as a bore and stock oil.
Another nice thing about the HF rifle, it has a metal ramrod so it'll not break, not that I was having a problem with my wood rods in the other guns but it is nice to know that I've got an "unbreakable" ramrod. Oh well, talk to ya'll later. :v

That is great news. I am envious. I would love to have an 1803 Harpers Ferry, but every time I start to get some money together, another bill or repair seems to rear it's ugly head. Is there a 10x32 male thread on the end of that ramrod? If so, have you been able to get any cleaning attachments for it? What type of rear sight is there? I would appreciate some pictures if you are able to post any. Thanks.

No, suprizingly there's no hole in the ramrod tip to thread cleaning attachments, at least not on this one. I think this is an older gun that's just not be used since it's an Antonio Zoli built gun and most that I've seen today are Euroarms. The rear sight is a rather large "U" shaped notch but it's not too hard to line up the front blade in it.

There were two companies making HF rifles about 15-20 years ago. I bought a .54 from Dixie in 1991. Had to send the lock back right away to get the frizzen hardened. But that thing sure shoots nice now. I use .530rb's and .018" ticking patches.

Java Man

In a way, the .58 might be PC after all. I read that the originals were very durable rifles, and some were re-bored to larger caliber years later, after being shot out. Also, there were reports of Native Americans coming in as late as the 1870s with "ancient" 1803s that were virtually smoothbore from years and years of use.

So it'd be kind of like the 1841's that were converted from 54 to 58 cal. , interesting. This one seems to spark ok. I had my doubts at first but since the frizzen has worn in a bit it touches off the powder just fine. :hmm:

Maybe I can offer this. Myne was a 58 cal, but I had to remake the stock to the exact measurements of the origional. I remade the lock to put the sparks in the pan. I installed a different but correct trigger guard and re fit the trigger. Also the butt plate was replaced. outside of it being A 58 it would be quite PC. It shot well and
i took it hunting many tymes. Here is where many
will disagree..55gr of ffg with a 15tho patch and
a570 ball. For target work it will print a clover
leaf in the ten at 25 yards...off hand....The origional stock looked and acted like a bb gun..

TNFrank,

I'm in the exact same boat as yours. I bought an old Zoli HF 1803 in .58 caliber from an online auction. It was in unfired condition and I got a good deal on it ($401). Serial number was in the 9000 range. Is supect the gun is at least 15 years old. I think Euroarms took over manufacturing from Zoli about that long ago.

If fired it for the fist time today and the frizzen seems soft. It would spark and fire, but it usually took about 5 snaps to get a flash. Very frustrating. A friend loaned me his .575 mold and the ball were much too big. I had trouble getting them down even with a very thin patch. I'll need to go with a .570 or smaller.

Has anyone tried to reharden these frizzens them selves with any luck?

Also, the wierd "U" shaped rear sight has to go!

Mark Hubbs
Huntsville, Al

Wulf,

What did you do to your lock to get it to "put sparks in the pan"?

Mark

Not to butt in but I have the same rifle, I had to replace the frizzen with one from Dixie (I think, it was quite a few years ago). I just called them and told them what I had and they sent me one that fit. It isn't quite the same but it works great. And mine likes the .570 ball the best.

I have all but made up my mind that my next build is gonig to be an 1803 HF. I hunt with all my MZ's and would with the HF as well. If you get out in the field with it, let me know what you think. :thumbsup:

This is what I did on my Euroarms Harper's Ferry ramrod so I could fit cleaning jags on it. I had it threaded, then took a regular jag and removed the threaded part from the jag, so I ended up with a female threaded jag that screws on the rod. The U shaped sight I had replaced too.
201547942.jpg

I left the U-shaped rear sight alone. It just sits way off to the left to hit center. I've done quite well with it the last two years in the Musket Match's at the MI State MLK Championships. Again, mine is a .54.

I sawed a slot in front of the throatered cock
added some flux and soldered it back again but with a better angle of attack. That made such a
difference...Also I corrected the insides of the
lock so the sear and notches all worked smooth.

TN.FRANK,

I have a Zoli that I bought new years ago. The flash hole was far too low, so I had it drilled and tapped for a liner. Since then it has always shot well, with very reliable ignition.

I had the ramrod end drilled and tapped for a 10-32 thread, because I like the internal threads better. I feel that they don't have the potential to chew up the stock like external threads.

Since the "new" wore off of the frizzen it's pretty much 100% in the ignition dept., I took off the stock brass ramrod tip and checked out the threads. They're not quite 10-32 but close enough that a 10-32 would probably fit with a little locktight. I'm probably just going to sell it off, use the money to fix up the CVA Mt. rifle, then sell it off and get into Traditonal bowhunting more. I'll hang onto my 48" Jackie Brown smoothbore but that'll be my only muzzleloader. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Talk to ya'll later.

Latest posts

Back