• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot snake spout: English or Irish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take the Irish every day. The English tend to leak small shot, and you're stuck with their one or two dispensed amounts. You can get handy with a file and easily change that with Irish. Lots harder to handle and feed your gun in the field too, manipulating the whole snake to the muzzle. Only time I use the English spouts now is on my own rigid leather "shot flasks." You can one hand them almost like a powder flask, so they're handy. So long as they're dispensing the amount you want. And so long as you're not using smaller shot.

I prefer the English type, took a bit of effort to "tune it up" but mine works great with 7 1/2 and 6 shot. for bigger size (bb) I use a dipper.
I use the BBs for goose and they are bismuth and lighter and the english head (at least mine) throws 1 oz and 1 1/4 oz and in bismuth 1 charge is too light and 2 too heavy. but for upland game, I have an English snake and I find it easier to confirm a full shot charge

BillinOregon said:
Only issue I see with the rish is losing the measure, but I'm sure that can be solved.
My solution has worked 100%, so far.

Spence

The Irish is ideal once you have figured out what charge you want to throw consistently and modify it slightly for that. However, unless you are going on a long walk and expect many shots, I've found it easier to carry pre-measured amounts of shot in small plastic vials.

I have never used rhat small of shot, in a shotgun, but I do have a bag of 12 shot I use for handgun snake loads, I can surely put some in and try it. I would think its ok, the slots are smaller than 12 shot and I tuned the spring and remade the brass doors from thicker brass, I will fill it up and see for sure.

I have both and lean toward the Irish.
Whichever one you get, try to get it on Ebay. I have found original English chargers to work a little better than reproductions. Since I have no experience with reproduction Irish chargers I can't comment on any differences there. At any rate, most of the ones I have are original, and I got them on Ebay for a lot less than I could have bought brand new ones from TOW or DGW. Most of the time the leather is shot, but making a new pouch is a simple project.

The 12 shot did not leak, but thats about the limit
shot%20snake%20002_zpsqzyssltl.jpg

Track of the Wolf suggests that the Irish shot charger was designed to work best with smaller shot sizes such as 8 and 9 and the English charger with the larger sizes.

Mine own limited experience seems to bear this out.

However, I just came across an 1869 patent for a shot flask by Allen with an English charger that had four compartments internally for different sizes of shot, accessed by rotating the head I believe.

With a shot snake I much prefer the Irish spout, for the same reasons as Brownbear and Medic.

English might be okay with a shot pouch, but I've never used one.

Back