• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot my leman this morning!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southarkrob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my Leman fullstock 54 cal (TOW kit and assembled by Greg Christian) in on Thursday. I havent had time to go the range lately so I couldnt stand it anymore this morning and loaded it up and shot it offhand at about 25yds....I got to shoot it twice and cut bullet holes! It is hitting just a little low....that means I need to file the front site down just hair...right??? This is going to make a great deer rifle. I cant wait to put it on paper. Just thought I would share... Robbie

p.s. the load was 95gr 3F Goex 530RB with a .18 pillowticking patch.

Nice! You shoot it a bit first and decide on the load it likes and you want before adjusting the sights. Sounds like your close though. Shoot a few groups just to make sure. To raise the point of impact you want to file the front sight yep. :thumbsup:

I am going to shoot it off the bench as soon as I can... I caught the flu this past week and havent felt like doin much. What is a good load for a 54?? I really love the way this Leman feels...one guy said that they have squirrel rifle stocks...I didnt understand it at the time...but I get it now...real thin in the stock and kinda barrel heavy...the recoil wasnt bad at all. The way it shoots now I could hunt with it...but I want to bring the point of impact up some.

You won't tell much of anything shooting at such a short range, except that the sights are currently set to put your shots close to your POA and on the paper. I think your load is HEAVY, particularly for punching paper. Drop that back to 60 grains, move out to 50 yds., shoot from a solid rest, and shoot 3 shot groups. Then add 5 more grains of powder and shoot another group. Call your fliers. Read your spent patches after every shot. They will tell you if you are using the right Ball diameter, patch thickness, lube combination for that bore diameter. :hatsoff:

I know it was fun shooting it. Have you posted pics of the gun yet? I have always thought I needed one. I would like to see it.

What do I look for in shot patches. I shot my flint lock hawken the other day and found a couple of the patches. They looked like they could have been reused. My hawken seems to be on... My dad shot it the other day and hit a coke can at 30 yds off hand (also the first time he ever shot a flinter) I will try and get some pics of the Leman... I am liking it more and more.

I have been looking at the Leman from Track as well. What barrel did you get if you dont mind me asking? Single trigger or doubleset?

Back