• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Chargers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, just plain leather. I don't hunt in the rain with that rig, though. Rainy days call for a different gun and a powder horn.

Spence

I carry my powder in a flask and my shot in the charger.

HPIM0792.jpg

Or, more often, a shot bag.

HPIM1205.jpg

One advantage the Irish charger has is it has three selections for the amount of powder it throws while the english charger has two.

I have noticed that powder is exposed at the gate of my english charger so standing close to a camp fire while wearing it would be kind of risky to say the least...HA.

I made this outfit after seeing a picture of the
snake that Spence uses on a post a while back. Got the chargeing heads off ebay for $35.00

IMG_1158.jpg

i am learning that one might as well stay home on rainy or snowy days these southern rabbits do not move if bad weather. The days the rabbits move in western KY I could carry powder in my pocket to keep is safe and dry.

I prefer the English head, for the same reasons as others have posted about losing the head of an Irish head. Of course I have used the English heads for so many years, that it would be teaching this old dog new tricks that has found no need to change. Kind of like, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I adjust all my English head leather shot flasks quite easily. Since I don't trust the numbers on any of the shot flasks and that stands for any style, I weigh the shot that is thrown by the flask head. If it is too much, I get some proper fitting brass tubing and make a snug fitting sleeve between the two gates on an English head.Just cut the length of the sleeve to the amount of shot you wish to throw and you have it! Simple and easy and it works for me. I am sure there are very good reasons to use what any style that any of you use. The only thing I can say it get one of each and use what suits you.Powder,I use a powder flask.

Back