• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot a Triple of Squirrels this Morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Was gonna go squirrel hunting at sun-up this morning but accidentally slept in. I managed to get out there around 8:00. I just worked a small 20 acre draw and sat down at a few locations and waited a few minutes at each and the squirrels just came out :idunno:. The Pedersoli 12 ga. sxs did its job dropping them out of the trees from 20 all the way to 30 yards. I used 80 gr. 2ffg black powder, 4 overshot cards, 1 1/8 oz. #6s (equal volume of shot and powder), and an overshot card then ran a lubed patch after. I've found lubing the barrel improves patterns a little bit so I always do it. Now it's time to get out the ol' flinter and maybe, maybe try to get one but I have to work a lot on my shooting first.

HPIM0439.jpg

Nice goin' luie b! Sounds like you got things down pat.

3 fox squaks! When I was a kid if we got one that was a fox it was like getting an 8 point buck. You did good :thumbsup:

That's all we got around here. Nothing but fox squirrels with some areas that maybe have some greys but probably not.

Pretty good bag for a sleepin'-in-late day. Not bad even if you'd got out on time. :thumbsup:

It's the same around here, almost all fox squirrels. There are a few pockets of grays here and there but only one place I know where I can hunt them. Most of the grays I know of are town/park squirrels.

My best buddy and me are going out to Sand Ridge St. Park Monday morning to see if I can whack a couple with my Bess and him with his .22 RF. I hope we have as good of luck as you. :hatsoff:

Louie,
Great job! Squirrel gravy and biscuits :thumbsup: We have lots of both fox and
grey squirrels in my area of Ohio.It would be rare
to come home with both.Fox squirrels will clear their area of the woods of greys,or at least that has been my experience. :idunno:
snake-eyes

Nice hunt Luie, good looking critters and beautifull country, you are fortunate to have such a great place there, and it is good to see some are getting started hunting allready.

"Fox squirrels will clear their area of the woods of greys,or at least that has been my experience."

I would tend to agree, here in western Oregon back in the 60's 70's one would see a lot of the Grey Squirrels, then the Fox squirrels started showing up, I am not sure they are even native here,now the Greys are pretty scarce in some areas and the Fox Squirresl very abundant I have several Walnut trees and live close to a heavily wooded drainage here in town so I have been able to "watch" this transformatiom for four decades, I have seen Squirrels that are hard to indentify, they may have the very "Grey" body and tail but show the distinctive redish hue on the belly or some other combo of color not really indicitive of either but more like a hybrid, the good part is that in a couple of the orchards I hunt there are more of the Fox Squirrels than tere ever were Greys in the past, but I do miss the big Greys that were nearly as big as a housecat.

Yea, it looks good the way it is. I was worried about the functionality though. My old bag had a loose flap and I always worried about losing something out of it. I don't worry with this bag because the flap is so heavy it really secures all my stuff.

Back