• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Barrel Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swquiro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought a used GPR which turned out to have a subtle ring in the barrel not far from the muzzle, just enough to ruin the accuracy. I have been toying with the idea of cutting the damaged area off, which would leave 25" of barrel, and using it to cobble up another rifle (we all need yet another rifle, right?). I already have a decent piece of walnut I got from a local farm years back, and I have a functional lock on hand as well. TC, Lyman, and maybe others, have produced some short-barreled rifles, but as far as I know they have all had 1 in 48 or faster twists. Question here is, any reason that this RB twist would not be a decent shooter out of 25"? Esthetically, this rifle may not be the best looking rifle on the block, but for my purposes (handy rifle to carry in the brush) that would not matter. All input appreciated.

Sounds like a plan to me. It's no good the way it is so what's the worst that could happen? I'd try it in a hearbeat but then again I never liked to colour inside the lines anyway. :thumbsup:

I don't know where we're goin but there's no sense bein late...

At 25" you should get enough velocity to do alright with the 1 in 60 or 1 in 66 twist in a GPR. The accuracy will largely be determined on how well you do the crown.

Sean

Sounds like a dandy to me. I've often considering picking up an extra GPR barrel so I could hack it down to about that length. It would sure make a quick handling gun out of the GPR, without having to resort to the "shotgun" butt of Lyman's Deerstalker at the same time. The looks of that butt is the only thing that's stopped me from buying the Deerstalker.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a fogey. :surrender:

The Deerstalker is the fastest handling muzzleloader I have ever used. I have a new Trade rifle and am thinking of puting that barrel on the Deerstalker stock.

I've handled and shot a friend's Deerstalker, and I agree. The centered COG compared to the long GPR really speeds up mounting and swing. That's what got me thinking of a shorter barrel for those days when the deer have moved into deep cover, as was the rule rather than the exception this year.

I jumped the one I got from its bed at 8-10 feet, but didn't have a sight picture till it was 20-25 yards away. I'm an experienced and fast brush shooter with conventional arms, so it was 90% frustrating to be so slow getting with the program. Fortunately the deer stopped briefly looking over its shoulder with its butt toward me. Last mistake, as I centershot the white patch in its throat. Lucky for me it stopped. I'd have poked a hole in it's ribs inside 10 yards before it turned away if I'd been carrying something quicker to mount and swing. I love my GPRs, but they have their place as far as I'm concerned.

I made a muzzleloader based on the TC hawken hooked breech system so I could swap out different barrels. Got a wild hair a few years back and ordered from Fox ridge a Pennsylvania Carbine barrel, percussion, 21" long. Started shooting it this year and talk about a nice brush gun. It has TC's 1:66 twist and shoots great out to 50 yards...havent tried it beyond yet. Made meat with it just last Saturday. Balance is perfect.

A Friend, Don Fulkerson is quite fond of making Brass lockplates and short barreled halfstocks for hunting on his farm in NE Missouri Timber.A 25" barrel should make a nice working rifle.

Here you go. GPR 50 cut down to the first rod holder. I usually get a little lip from the other shooters at the local rendezvous and trekkers events, but that usually ends when I cut the card, straw, and take out the nail.

I am shooting 70 grains of 3F and it just shoots so nice. I was really surprised at the balance, it's balanced great.

I had the barrel cut down and coned by a Deer Creek in Marietta Ga.

I got the gun in a box in pieces.

shortGPR.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts

Back