• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short barrel double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As usual I need educating. Have not looked at this gun. Would like some input before I do next week. This is supposedly a fairly new 20 double with 12 inch barrels from the factory. It only has one trigger? No selector, it fires one barrel and then the other. This gun has external hammers. All the muzzle loader doubles I have looked at had a trigger for each hammer. Is this a real factory setup with short barrels and only one trigger? I was hoping for a handgun but he said it has a straight grip stock. I am totally ignorant on this one. Any one know anything about this type gun and value?

He called and it is a Pedersoli Baker Cavalry double. The price he is asking is more than I want to invest in a gun with
barrels that short. I am still interested in how it works with just one trigger.

Early in TWBTS, lots of "good 'ole rebels" in the CSA cavalry "sawed-off" double-barreled shotguns for close range killing from horseback & some CS Marines reportedly did the same for "boarding party use".
(There's such a DB with 10" barrels in the Confederate Museum in New Orleans.)

yours, satx

The exploded view shows a "selector" along with assorted screws and springs but it isn't clear just how it works.

(choose to download the PDF file in the following link)
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...e-by-side-shotguns-baker-cavalry-shotgun.html

Some single trigger double barrel guns have a manually operated selector that is moved by the shooter. In one position it fires the right barrel. In the other position it fires the left barrel.

Some really high priced single trigger doubles have a selector that automatically changes so another pull on the trigger will fire the other barrel.

It automatically changes by using the recoil of the firing barrel to move it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedersoli makes a line of back action SxS's with a single trigger, which they claim is based on an English gunsmith's design (Baker, possibly developer of the english Baker Rifle).

I would think that Pedersolis Howdah SxS pistol was more what you are lokking for (apart from price).

Thank you Sir. I own and have worked on modern doubles and over/unders with single triggers. They are great when working but a real pain to work on. With the hammers external the lock work would probably be less crowded and a little simpler. For the money I would rather have longer barrels and both triggers. Single triggers are OK on modern but for a muzzle loader I'll take 2.

Functionally, I think that there is LITTLE difference between a CSA Cavalry or CS Marine's "sawed off" DB & a Howdah pistol. = BOTH are reasonably compact & DEADLY (when properly charged) at near point-blank range.

yours, satx

I have one of the Pedersoli Baker shotguns with 28inch barrels and love it.I actually like the single trigger ,it is really convenient when using gloves .The single trigger fires the left barrel first then the right if both hammers are cocked ,if not it fires which ever barrel is being used.I would to see Pedersoli offer the Baker as a 12ga/58cal cape gun

Back