• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the Indian Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I fired the Bess today,after some very minor tweeking of the lock. I used a craytex wheel on a Dremel to smooth and polish the frizzen where it contacts the spring which made a big difference in smoothness of operation. Before doing this the frizzen would not flip all the way forward when struck by the cock.
Ignition is fast and sure, with no misfires and I have 20-some shots on the flint without knapping so far. I think these guns will are a very good choice for re-enactors or for just good PC shooters. At the asking price of $435.00 from Track of the Wolf, they are a bargain. No buyers regret here!
I will be working on the lock and trigger to get trigger pull down to a lower level, but aside from that,I'm just shootin' her! :) :thumbsup:

What type of Bess did you have again? You mentioned $435 from TOW, I am not familiar with them selling Indian Besses...can you please give details.

Thanks,
Jim

Congrats! Is the wood on yours close enough to an original for you? If you decide to take down the wood, please post details, as that's also going to be a project for me this summer.

jchochole said:
What type of Bess did you have again? You mentioned $435 from TOW, I am not familiar with them selling Indian Besses...can you please give details.

Thanks,
Jim
Go to TOTW website and look under guns. You will find the Bess there. They are imported from India and do not have the vent drilled and have not been proof tested. You can read my post on proofing he gun if you scroll down a bit.
The guns are hand assembled and need a little tweeking to make right, but are an excellent value.
As far as accuracy is concerned, I am just starting to experiment with loads. Shot about 4" yesterday at 25 yards, but the trigger pull is over 10 pounds ( I'll fix that). I shot 80gr. of ffg behind a .715 PRB.
The finish on the stock is acceptable to me, and I will leave it alone for now. Some re-enactors will refinish as it is not exactly faithfull to the original.

Back