• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting sticks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Lets talk shooting sticks.....So first who used them and why? Secondly.... anyone making their own at this point i would love to see them. I am thinking of making shooting sticks for the range...

Let's see those sticks......

As a matter of fact, yes I do use sticks occasionally and make my own that are adjustable. They are made out of black bamboo that grows on the property, light weight, strong and adjustable. Very simple with a piece of bicycle inner tube or Velcro that slides up & down for whatever height I need. I hold at the X and cradle the forearm of the rifle on my hand.
stix 001.jpg

stix 002.jpg

Edit: Some form of rifle rest have been in use since the invention of the rifle itself, Musketeers using them comes to mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musketeer

Last edited:
I used them considerably for buffalo matches at Friendship. Simple to make. Just screw two 1"X2" pieces of wood together. The bottom end can be cut at an angle to help bite into ground. A piece of leather or cloth laid over the cross can help protect the barrel or stock wood. Be advise, these matches require a lot of getting down and getting up. It is a young mans game. Some stand up matches are getting popular. That may be what BPD made his for.

I like the idea of making your own. I bought a couple of those fancy spring-loaded push-button-extend sticks, one bipod and one monopod, and didn't like either one. Too hard to get the length just right. And they're expensive. Waste of money IMO.

I think if you're going to use shooting sticks, a tripod setup provides the stablest platform, and a tripod can be fabricated in the manner described in post #2, above.

I made a bipod out of two 6' 1 x 2s with the bolt near the top and padded with leather. Took all the corners down for weight savings and rounded a long area for a handle since I need a walking stick in the woods. It worked very well for shooting from a standing position and was perfect for antelope hunting. Then I forgot it at the range one day. I'm thinking about making another. Very simple and easy to make.

I have used a bamboo set for years but had a bad habit of leaving my hunting spot after dark and forgetting to take my sticks home with me. My last set is somewhere in the woods but I haven't been able to find them.

I made another set; I had a red oak board that I ripped into slats to make my current shooting sticks.

I found the top pinched my gun too much so I hollowed them out a little and added Velcro. I cut off the tips to lower the weight of the sticks. There is a wingnut on the other side to loosen when I want to fold them up.

stick 1.JPG

I put some ramrod pieces in the legs to make them more secure on uneven ground.

stick 2.JPG

Nice shooting sticks, I hunted all year with these and never left them the woods. I sit on a Millenium strap on hunting chair, these are set at the perfect shooting height. I am a lousy off hand shot and really need these.
stick 3.JPG

Last edited:
I too ALWAYS steady my rifle in the field, a tree will work, in the blind I found a perfect set for under $20.00 at Cal Ranch and they adjust for a perfect fit with my fat rase in a chair in a blind in the woods in elk season in AZ in all weather in a good mood in a .......

NOTE: they take some work and practice to be silent. This years deer set a mule deer speed record when the rifle scraped against the top post when I ost looked like an antelope. Would have loved to take home those horns. Maybe next (this) year??

Latest posts

Back