• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting my T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my T/C .58 Caliber Hawken to the range today. I had not shot it in about 9 months.

I shot about 15 shots, all at 25 yards and all off-hand.

I used 60 grains of FFG Goex, followed by a lubed Ox-Yoke wad, then a .570 Hornady round ball with lubed pillow ticking patch.

It was humid and drizzling. Even after firing off two caps and swabbing the barrel, the first load would not fire even after five or six caps. (I made sure to hold the rifle for about 30 seconds after every misfire and kept the gun pointed down range at all times,just to be on the safe side). I ended up taking off the nipple and trickling a few grains in. That worked.

After that, she shot fine -- but I did make sure to pat the barrel several times after pouring in the powder.

The wads worked well in keeping the barrel clean. I did swab after every five or six shots because of the humidity.

After getting used to the gun, she shot real well. Here is one of the targets -- it's a small one (letter paper sized). Distance between two furthest shots was less than 3" on this target.

2497938350_4300d736a2_o.jpg

:hmm: Before you load you gun for the first time, do you run a dry patch down the bore and then pop a cap on the empty barrel with the muzzle pointed at a leaf or blade of grass? If that leaf or blade of grass moves you'll know your flash channel is clear - and that gun will fire when loaded.

That big .58 sounds great, would be an excellent deer rifle...

Spot

Spot said:
:hmm: Before you load you gun for the first time, do you run a dry patch down the bore and then pop a cap on the empty barrel with the muzzle pointed at a leaf or blade of grass? If that leaf or blade of grass moves you'll know your flash channel is clear - and that gun will fire when loaded.

Spot

Spot:

Yes, I do that with all my rifles. I did that today as well with the Hawken. I fired off two caps at the grass/leaves and both times saw movement. That's why I was surprised at all the misfires.

Once I got off the first shot, she fired fine with no problems. But I was sure to pat the barrel every time -- that ensured that all the powder went down.

After a long delay in storage, oil can become grease, in the bottom of the barrel. Unless you flush the barrel and flash channel out with alcohol, you can have this problem, even when a cap fired with the barrel pointed at a blade of grass or leaf will cause movement. A dry patch down the barrel often will only remove what little oil may still be present, but the coagulated grease, dirt( from dust) and impurities in the oils will still be back there to foul the first powder charge.

I recommend taking the nipple out, putting an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner down the flash channel, and then pour alcohol into the barrel to flush it. I hold the gun with my thumg on the drum or nipple hole( vent on Flintlocks) and my other thumb over the muzzle. I shake it up and down like I would making a mixed drink with ice cube. Then I pour out the alcohol into a container, so I can see what kind of crud I am getting out. Usually, with dried oil and crud down the barrel, I will get bits of floaters in the alcohol, and the oil will come out a bit yellowed.

I then run a heavily wetted cleaning patch in alcohol, down the barrel to get the rest of the oil residue at the breech. The pipe cleaner is removed from the flash channel so that the alcohol can evaporate. Oh, you will be shocked at how much crud comes out on that pipe cleaner!

If I have a long drive to the range or game field, I go ahead and put a LIGHTLY oiled patch down the barrel, to lube it to prevent rust on the trip. A drop of oil on the other end of the pipe cleaner( I am " Frugal") to wipe the flash channel and threads for the nipple prepares the drum of breech for the return of the nipple. Since i use stainless steel nipples, I don't oil the inside of the nipple. That just stays dry.

The only trouble with MLers is that they require a bit of serious thought to their care, and they definitely have to be prepared to take out shooting. YOu can get away with a lot of sloppiness, and lack of concern with modern cartridge guns. You can't with MLers. For years, guys in my club who can't get their guns to fire that first time are always wondering why I don't seem to ever have that trouble. I remind them I am an old F&*t, so that all those troubles are things I experienced many years ago! :blah: :rotf: :hatsoff:

Spot said:

Spot

DITTO :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

paulthewall, what kind of caps are you using? i have constant misfires and FTF's with my t/c caplocks (i have several) with regular CCI #11 caps. if i switch to RWS 1075 caps, no more worries. instantaneous ignition, no matter humidity, fouling, etc. musket caps work well too, RWS or CCI. CCI magnum #11 caps are ok too.

i have completely switched over to the RWS caps and either goex or swiss blackpowder. too much worry otherwise. its no fun to have to mess around with a misfiring rifle the whole time you're at the range (been there, done that).

roundballshooter said:
paulthewall, what kind of caps are you using? i have constant misfires and FTF's with my t/c caplocks (i have several) with regular CCI #11 caps. if i switch to RWS 1075 caps, no more worries. instantaneous ignition, no matter humidity, fouling, etc. musket caps work well too, RWS or CCI. CCI magnum #11 caps are ok too.

i have completely switched over to the RWS caps and either goex or swiss blackpowder. too much worry otherwise. its no fun to have to mess around with a misfiring rifle the whole time you're at the range (been there, done that).

Roundball:

Last year I switched nipples to T/C musket cap nipple. I use CCI musket caps. This is the first time I have ever had any problems with them. I use them in my Enfield and, again, never had any problems with misfires.

Even today, after I was able to get that first shot off, the gun fired 16 straight shots with absolutely no problems or delays.

But thanks for the tip. When my supply of CCI caps runs out I will give the RWS caps a try if I can find them.

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. :bow:

those CCI musket caps are great, ive heard some of the NSSA folks complain that they're TOO hot, resulting in cap fragments flying everywhere. try poppin' some off w/out earplugs, they're as loud as a .22

as far as ignition goes, i have never had a problem with them :grin:

I like to use musket caps also, no missfires in 3 years with the RWS ones. and instead of alcohol, I use brakekleen in the aeresol can - fast & convienient!

How do you store your rifle? I had a similar problem before I started storing my rifles muzzle down in my gun safe. That way extra bore coatings migrate out of the barrel, not back in the flash channel. Also, I don't need to flush with alcohol or anything, just swab with a dry patch, shoot a couple of caps, then good to go.
Larry

ldykeman said:
How do you store your rifle? I had a similar problem before I started storing my rifles muzzle down in my gun safe. That way extra bore coatings migrate out of the barrel, not back in the flash channel. Also, I don't need to flush with alcohol or anything, just swab with a dry patch, shoot a couple of caps, then good to go.
Larry

I store it on a rifle rack sideways.

That is a great suggestion. What I will do is before going to bed, store the rifles bore down every evening, then put them back up on the rifle rack during the day.

Thanks!

Again, this is the first time I ever had this problem with the Hawken. And, as I noted earlier, the rifle fired 16 shots in a row with no problems once I was able to get that first load shot.

That is a great suggestion. What I will do is before going to bed, store the rifles bore down every evening, then put them back up on the rifle rack during the day.
Paul,
Now why didn't I think of
that:surrender::wink::rotf:
snake-eyes

Back