• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

She's pretty for pushing 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeum54

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First off, I'm one of those mountain rifle nuts, this makes # 7. I've got a couple " dad only shot it a few times" closet finds with minor nicks and scratches that look like new but this one is mint. Advertised as never shot and by the looks of it,, it hasn't been. Can't find a sign at all from any residue around or under lock or barrel. No box but did have a little literature with it and the cleaning jag in the patch box. I know it comes down to how it was taken care of but the barrel on this was cleaner than the last 6 brand new guns i bought 🤔 I'm normally not one to show off my stuff, just thought some of you would like to see it. Also, i remember seeing a couple threads on the made in usa serial numbers, mine is 5502x for anyone interested, have a good one.
20231001_111159.jpg
20230930_131117.jpg
20230930_131204.jpg
20230930_131252.jpg
20230930_131303.jpg
20230930_131313.jpg
20230930_131333.jpg
20231001_111222.jpg

That is indeed a beauty. Your pride is justified.

Sharp looking piece. Fit and finish seem to be spot on with that one. Never been shot huh, I couldn't handle that. I would have to make it bark.

Appreciate the kind words. Mountain rifles have always been special to me. My uncle got me and my dad into muzzleloaders when I was 13 and a mountain rifle was are first. I'm all for shooting guns, no matter how special, that's what they're for. My uncle used to cringe when i duel weilded the original 51 navy's my dad used to have😁. But i might have to wait on this one for a while.

my current shooter is a usa made 50 with a birds eye maple stock. that is what is fun about collecting the original mountain rifles every once in a while they had fancy stock on them.
one of the writers for outdoor life way back when said "you spend 90% of your time looking at your guns and 10% shooting/hunting so they should be works of art" if it don't have fancy wood it usually doesn't get a second look. I just wish that the 54 and 58's were usa made

Looks just like mine. Shoots great for about 15 rounds, then the clean-out screw needs to be opened to remove built-up fouling. I'd be tempted to look for one in flintlock except I haven't heard much good about their lock.

My first one was a flint lock could not get it to reliably work no matter what I had done with it, sold it and bought the percussion.

my current shooter is a usa made 50 with a birds eye maple stock. that is what is fun about collecting the original mountain rifles every once in a while they had fancy stock on them.
one of the writers for outdoor life way back when said "you spend 90% of your time looking at your guns and 10% shooting/hunting so they should be works of art" if it don't have fancy wood it usually doesn't get a second look. I just wish that the 54 and 58's were usa made
I've been fortunate enough to find a few with some fancy stuff in the stock to.

Attachments

• 20231002_150423.jpg
    20231002_150423.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231002_150503.jpg
    20231002_150503.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
First off, I'm one of those mountain rifle nuts, this makes # 7. I've got a couple " dad only shot it a few times" closet finds with minor nicks and scratches that look like new but this one is mint. Advertised as never shot and by the looks of it,, it hasn't been. Can't find a sign at all from any residue around or under lock or barrel. No box but did have a little literature with it and the cleaning jag in the patch box. I know it comes down to how it was taken care of but the barrel on this was cleaner than the last 6 brand new guns i bought 🤔 I'm normally not one to show off my stuff, just thought some of you would like to see it. Also, i remember seeing a couple threads on the made in usa serial numbers, mine is 5502x for anyone interested, have a good one.View attachment 256952View attachment 256954View attachment 256964View attachment 256965View attachment 256966View attachment 256967View attachment 256968View attachment 256969
Clean!

Back