• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shellac the Barrel trough ? Pedersoli Navy Moll Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have often considered the effect of dipping an entire stock in the coating (thinned oil, or etc.). Using the most appropriate solvent, of course. Is there anything wrong with this strategy?

Bo T said:
I have often considered the effect of dipping an entire stock in the coating (thinned oil, or etc.). Using the most appropriate solvent, of course. Is there anything wrong with this strategy?

Well, it can lead to a "too thick" coat of oil that does not dry well and is more fragile than thinner coats of oil applied in more coats.

BTW, that's from actual experience of seeing it done both ways and then seeing how the finish stood up on many modern stocks used in NM competition on Okinawa, Hawaii, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Ohio.

Gus

Be very cautious with Linseed Oil.

I wiped down a nice Teak Table using Linseed Oil and Paper Towels years ago.

When finished, I was sleepy, but still motivated myself enough to bring all the trash out to the Apartment dumpster.

A few minutes later I heard Fire Engines - the dumpster was ON FIRE !

The next year, just as an experiment, I took a Paper Towel, some Linseed Oil, and rubbed another table. Hauled a nice metal Trash Can out to the middle of my driveway (we had moved).

Tossed the trash into the can. Within half an hour, it too was in flames.

Linseed oil oxidizes rather quickly and as it does, it creates heat.

In a wadded up rag or paper towel the heat can't escape so sometimes (not always) the oil will create what is called "spontaneous combustion" and the rags/towels will ignite.

If the rags/towels are unfolded as the oil drys the heat will escape harmlessly into the air but in a tightly wrapped rag/towel it can be dangerous.

Zonie said:
Linseed oil oxidizes rather quickly and as it does, it creates heat.

In a wadded up rag or paper towel the heat can't escape so sometimes (not always) the oil will create what is called "spontaneous combustion" and the rags/towels will ignite.

If the rags/towels are unfolded as the oil drys the heat will escape harmlessly into the air but in a tightly wrapped rag/towel it can be dangerous.

Yeah, for years we were told to beware of "OILY RAGS".

I always thought it a bit of overreaction.

And if it is simple Motor Oil (or equiv), I still do. That stuff will burn, of course, but a source of ignition is necessary.

The entire point of Motor Oil is for it to never dry at all. And never evaporate, either.

But your Linseed Oil (and most likely Tung Oil), is supposed to oxidize and dry. And in doing so, it generates heat.

For all I know Paper Towels may, somehow, interact with Linseed Oil to produce more heat than, let's say, cotton rags.

One of these days I will reproduce my experiment again - but it may be awhile.

Ever since the day of the fire I steer far away from Linseed and Tung Oil.

Back in the working days I responded to more than a few house fires with the common theme as to cause being that the deck/siding had just been stained and all the empty cans, brushes and rags had been put in a garbage can in the garage.

I have a few rags that I use for rubbing in Linseed oil. When I am done with them I immediately stuff them tightly into a small glass Ball jar and tighten the lid. If Oxygen can't get to the Linseed oil it won't oxidize and catch fire. After a while the rags are sticky and make great Tack rags for wiping up dust. Then I use them to start a fire in the fireplace.

Back