• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sheep skin mocassins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was messing around on YouTube the other day. They had a few videos on making mocassins. The guy was using sheep skin with the wool still on. It was short but there. I thought it wAs a pretty cool idea. My question is , how hc/pc is this for say the mid to late 18 th century? How tough is sheep skin? And where can I get some? I'm wondering if he just bought saddle lining or what.

Oh we had sheep alright in the Colonies, the "Stamp Act" helped lead to the Rev War.

And here in the Olde Great Nor`west fur-in two layer moc's or mukluk type footwear was already pretty much just common sense.

When Sheep hides became available in our area and used I can't answer, considering we pretty much where in the business of shipping fur out not importing.

Fur on Sheep hides are common at larger `vous in our area I picked up a few 10yrs ago at a decent price, they've gone to 70-80 recently. The hide is/can be like heavy buckskin.
Keith an Tracy can ship ya hides and I recomend them for all your leather/hide needs; http://www.theleatherguy.org/

Just remember,
You can fleece a sheep every year,
But you can only skin it once.

Last edited by a moderator:
fort fireman said:
My question is , how hc/pc is this for say the mid to late 18 th century? How tough is sheep skin? And where can I get some?
I can't say about the HC/PC aspect except to speculate, and you know what that's worth. They did raise sheep, at least we know that.

I made a pair of winter mocs using sheepskin I salvaged from a thrift store coat. It had been sheared to medium length and dyed a bilious brown.

FurMoc_big.jpg

That sheepskin wasn't very tough. I've used those mocs a fair bit, but had to put on an extra sole of elk hide soon after I made them, kept getting holes.

FurMocs3.jpg

They've been good mocs, very warm, especially with good wool blanket liners in them. I don't baby them, and they are doing OK after more than 15 years.

FurMoc2.jpg

I made a vest from a new sheepskin I bought, and I found it to be pretty tough, tougher than the one from the coat. I don't have any idea how old the coat was or what was done to the sheepskin in the making of it.

I bought the sheepskin at the Friendship meet. I've seen leather vendors at several of the larger meets. I have no doubt you can find sheepskin vendors online, too.

Spence

Some people like them, but they really make my foot sweat and just get tooooo hot! ... Even in very cold weather! I opted for high moc's made of leather and put felt boot liners in them. Feet get to hot and out they come and just put my wool socks on! .... Not to PC, but haven't found anyone who wants to check out my feet when I take them off at night! :rotf:

Rick

How do you go about waterproofing them?? Can you wade through a creek and not get wet or walk through a dew covered field in the morning and stay dry? I like my feet dry and warm when hunting....Where I hunt I have to wade a creek 50 feet from the cabin to get to my stand so waterproof is key. Thanks.

I waterproof all of my mocs. I've recently found that Stumpy's Moose Snot does a great job. Actually, my version...I have an aversion to castor oil, but olive oil is a great substitute. Just rub it in the leather like you would Mink Oil or SnoSeal. I re-apply after each use. Spent last weekend at a rondezvous with snow and mud on the ground, my feet stayed dry without changing mocs for three days.
Your mileage may vary.
Ed

58 caliber said:
How do you go about waterproofing them?? Can you wade through a creek and not get wet or walk through a dew covered field in the morning and stay dry? I like my feet dry and warm when hunting....Where I hunt I have to wade a creek 50 feet from the cabin to get to my stand so waterproof is key. Thanks.

Researching a lot of the testimonies and stories from some of the old Mountain Men, I have read several accounts about them talking about having several pairs of Moc's for changing a lot. __ That tells me, that wet feet was a big problem in the old days, as now!

Back in my Rendezvous days, that's "Rondys" for the cyber people.... :rotf: ...I used to have several pairs to change in to. Moccasin's for summer wear and cold weather wear. I even had a set or two for changing when I entered my Tipi!

Since those days, I like the idea of 18th century reenactment and persona's, cause I can wear boots and shoes!!... :applause: No more wet feet or damp feet or busting my butt on slick wet grass etc.

Rick

flattail said:
Spent last weekend at a rondezvous with snow and mud on the ground, my feet stayed dry without changing mocs for three days.
Think it would work here? :haha: :haha:

Turkey98copy.jpg

Spence

58 you can make mocs water "repelent" but not water "proof" I've been in this hobby for right around 30 years and wet feet are just part of the animal. You can cheat though and wear water proof socks of some sort to keep your feet dry after the mocs get soggy, some use neopreen diving socks n such, they are all covered up n what can't be seen nobody can point out hehehe

man them Redbuds look awesome during green up time.Gonna plant a couple here on the homestead, daffs down low, redbuds over top, what a way to announce spring
:thumbsup: :)

man them Redbuds look awesome during green up time.Gonna plant a couple here on the homestead, daffs down low, redbuds over top, what a way to announce spring
:thumbsup: :)

I guess I could break out the gore-tex socks but I sure would think that those soaking wet mocs and liner would weigh a ton. I was thinking of mocs to go light and get away from my normal "Herman Munster Boots" as my wife calls them.

George -- what pound test line is the on that fishin pole 62 cal???

Dave

Birdman said:
man them Redbuds look awesome during green up time.
One of the great bonuses during spring turkey season around here. It's enough to dazzle you, make you forget why you were out there in the first place.

Spence

58 ya can always break down n do what lots a guys do, strip off yer mocs n liners, tuff out the cold water,wade across n put em back on. Been along time but I've stripped down near necked to get across some deep n wide stuff, cold as all git out :shocked2: n talked falseto fer a bit but had nice warm dry stuff on for the rest of the trip LOL. :)

58 caliber said:
Gore-Tex and rubber boots for me..... :rotf:

One thing good about Gore-tex and rubber boots, is that they hold water in deep crossings excellently and you can easily carry water back to camp!..... :rotf:

Back