• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

She Ain't Pretty, But She Shoots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
Finally took my new Lyman Trade Rifle .54 cal out for trial run. Loaded 60 grains of FFG, a .520 round ball, and a .015 patch. This is the three shot group at about 30 yards. On the negative side, the CCI #11 caps were a little too small for the nipple. Had several misfires because the cap couldn't be seated fully. Secondly, the brass attachment that holds the jag came off while I was swabbing the bore. Not so good. I'm still pleased, generally and I changed her name from Plain Jane to Lady Jane.

Attachments

• 20230502_114307~2.jpg
    20230502_114307~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I don’t trust any factory ramrods. And the tips should always be pinned.
That trade rifle is a looker
We like them pieces of art , but plain has just that come and be my friend look
Good shooting, better than what I can do in my best day. Get you a good pinned rod and right caps and you will have the best there is

Finally took my new Lyman Trade Rifle .54 cal out for trial run. Loaded 60 grains of FFG, a .520 round ball, and a .015 patch. This is the three shot group at about 30 yards. On the negative side, the CCI #11 caps were a little too small for the nipple. Had several misfires because the cap couldn't be seated fully. Secondly, the brass attachment that holds the jag came off while I was swabbing the bore. Not so good. I'm still pleased, generally and I changed her name from Plain Jane to Lady Jane.
Check the nipple, it may be "mushroomed"a bit. Chuck the nipple in a drill and use either a fine file or emery paper to gently smooth the top. Keep checking with a cap until you get the fit that you want.

Back