• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Semolina as a buffer??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolk shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
Just wondered if any of you use some semolina as a buffer between the powder charge and a lubed patch? I only as as I have just seen some guys soothing the world champs (on YouTube) doing it.

Many thanks in advance

Norfolk

norfolk shooter said:
Hi Chaps,
Just wondered if any of you use some semolina as a buffer between the powder charge and a lubed patch? I only as as I have just seen some guys soothing the world champs (on YouTube) doing it.

Many thanks in advance

Norfolk

What is "semolina"?

That is not a term used in the U.S commonly.

Corn meal or Cream Of Wheat are often used as fillers here.

r

Some are much better then others , the grain size , compression, inert qualities etc., bear in mind these guys are shooting for gold medals in international championships.

Semolina is marketed in the US as "Cream of Wheat." Lots of us use it as a buffer/filler in muzzle loading guns. I prefer its ease of flow and measurement (similar to black powder)when loading target loads in my cap & ball revolvers. I have found this "buffer" to help minie-type bullets shoot accurately in my .58 caliber rifled muskets where without it they were all over the place. I also use it under Maxi or conical bullets in my non-traditional muzzle loaders to great effect.

Have not tried this, but you got me thinking that it may work as a buffer when loading shot in a smoothbore muzzleloader? It may reduce pellet deformation and improve the pattern...has anyone given this a try? :hmm:

Nope, but I was thinking similar thoughts the other day. I was looking at my cornmeal I use for the revolver and got to wondering about the smoothbore .56 and cornmeal.

Think I may have to try it out, if it ever stops snowing and pileing up around here. :cursing:

Well that was conclusive. It did nothing at all as a buffer. I dont know why the world champs do it?? It might be to make them look like they know what there doing!!!!

It's not a buffer, it fills up the chamber when using target loads to bring the ball seating height up to max, not leaving any air gap.EG a chamber may hold 30grs of powder and the ball seated fully and the top ball edge is flush with the chamber mouth( still allowing the cyclinder to rotate ). Now the target shooter has found that 20 grs of powder is the most consistent and accurate load in his particular revolver, so he loads 20 grs of powder then 10. grs of filler then the ball . That is the purpose of the filler .It's not a magic bullet it won't make you shoot better groups .

And now they will rise like Zombies screaming tales of woe for and against . :rotf:

I use Cream-of-wheat because it does not compress as much as corn meal and allows a more consistent compression load to load. I found this our after using corn meal for a while.
It was much easier for me to get the ball in the same position in the mouth of the chamber with COW because of its less compressibility.
It also meters better out of a powder flask. MD

Now, what about the cream of wheat with added brown sugar?

Seriously, I'm getting a lot of great information from this forum, I'm going to have to start writing this stuff down, and keep it with my shooting gear.

Latest posts

Back