• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schools, Historical Accuracy, and Getting Started

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just up to arrow rock mo yesterday, and they have a southren mt rifle in the arrow rock historical assosation that looks very close to yours :wink:

Keep your eyes peeled on gunbroker or even the classifieds on here.

Instead of searching specific names, just keep peeking of what rifles are ending in 24 hours in the blackpowder section.

I am real happy with my lyman 54 cal flintlock. I rather have something custom, but I enjoy this gun much more than my modern arms in my collection.

54 is nice, but 50 cal balls are about 25% cheaper and use less powder to get the same velocity out of the gun. 45 isn't bad at all either.

just as a side note, I dont know what your laws are in ohio. A .45 will do well on deer, and will handle light loads well. So you can hunt tree rats and bunnies with them. A.40 will put a white tail in the pot with a good shot. I don't hunt with anything that small but lots of boys and girls swear by it. A .40-.45 can likly fill your needs with one gun.
O the other hand you may find you don't need a rifle at all. A .20 smoothy will put paid on most all north american game from bunnies to buffs.Ohio has a little history with rock in the lock smoothies

Latest posts

Back