• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sand paper v. Scrapers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
who prefers what. is there benefit of scraping over sanding? It seems you wouldnt get the whiskers as bad using scrapers.
those who scrape, steel or class?

I assume you you're talking about powder horns? I prefer scraping as that is the way i was taught as a young'n

Hi,
I have just started using scrapers.
I find the finish smoother, you must be careful with various detais on the gun, as it is easy to scrape away some of the preferred design.
Old Ford

I use steel scrapers first then sometimes glass microscope slides where they will fit. It takes practice to not end up with nicks were you first set the scraper to the stock. But unlike sandpaper the steel scrapers never wear out or simply push down the whiskers. They shear them off.

For wood I use both depending on conditions, for horn and bone I prefer scrapers made from broken glass.

ohio ramrod said:
For wood I use both depending on conditions, for horn and bone I prefer scrapers made from broken glass.
I love broken glass form my horns. the woodshop manager at the camp foster woodshop turned me onto it.

I use both. With my peculiar style I tend to use sandpaper more that I care to to create "wear". I like to use scrapers for the tool marks they leave behind....I love tool marks, :thumbsup:

I mainly use scrapers for shaping and 220 grit paper for finish sanding and whiskering. Have some purchased scrapers but use "Red Devil" single edged razor blades a lot.....especially for contours. The razor blades are contoured on the disk sander and then a finer edge is done w/ a stone. These really remove wood in a hurry....Fred

Scraping for the bottom and sides of mortices and barrel channel, sanding for the outside. I use a sanding block as much as possible, until I get past 150 grit. Keeps the profile straight and flat. Bill

I may us a bit of sandpaper on a flat hard backing plate just for establishing a straight contour. I finish off with scrapers as well as razor blades. After that it is right into staining and finishing.

Back