• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safety Question for Enfield rifle...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas77

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy,

Here's a question for all you experinced Civil war types.

I just bought a used PH Enfield rifle and very happy with it. I found that when taking out the nipple it only takes finger pressure to unscrew the nipple. It's screwed all the way in as far as the threads and reasonably tight. Is this unsafe? I was thinking it should take at least a nipple wrench to loosen the nipple before unscrewing it. I bought this used, should this be addressed?

Sure it should be addressed.

Simply get a 1/4 inch open end wrench, a small adjustable wrench or a Musket sized nipple wrench and tighten it up a bit.

The nipple shouldn't be overtightened. Just enough to make sure it won't come loose from handling and firing it.

More than likely, the seller had cleaned up the gun and forgot to tighten the nipple. If the threads look good everything should be OK. :)

I to will agree that the seller may have cleaned it and didn't tighten it down. You can use a wrench to snug it down after you look at the threads. You should order a nipple wrench for muskets from a sutler. Depending on where you are there are a lot of good sutlers you just have to check them on line. Theres Fall Creek Sutlers,James County Mercential this are two of a long list and they are reputible folks.

Just make sure when its screwed half way in it doesn't wobble side to side.
There are quite a few different thread sizes used for musket nipples. If its loose it could be an indication that the last owner replaced the nipple with one of the wrong thread size. It will blow out eventually if its the wrong one. Its deafening when that happens and can lead to serious injury. I have a baseball cap with a hole in the visor from a nipple on a Zouave that I borrowed from someone.
The machinists here will tell you to get a thread gauge, blah, blah, blah.:wink: :wink: The easiest way is to go to the TOTW site and look up your manufacturer in their list of musket nipples and buy one or two. Then you know you got the right one.

Also make sure that if the gun was used by a reenactor that he didn't drill out the nipple. Simple to do take a look to make sure the nipple is smaller on the barrel side than the cap side. Should be cone shaped not straight through.

Striped shorts. I actually have the hammer from that gun. It has a chunk missing out of the front of the hammer. I think thats what kept the nipple from going through my head.

Bub said:
I have a baseball cap with a hole in the visor from a nipple on a Zouave that I borrowed from someone.

Did you do anything to him to make him angry at you? :nono:

No I was actually trying it out with the intent of buying it.
Actually ...long story coming.....I did buy it cheap! the threads were shot so I had a friend who was a machinist/gunsmith grind off the bolster and weld fill the channel. Cleaned it up and fit an old flintlock to it. Thats why I still have the original lock and hammer. Oh, the bore was shot out too. No rifling. Made a sort of poormans trade gun. It was back in the 70's. A friend found it on a trade blanket about 25 years later, the owner claimed it was an original "indian gun".

Howdy Tex, I dont see any way the nipple should be finger tight after its properly installed unless you have the wrong nipple installed or the threads are worn.

I too had a nipple blow out once, a friend gave me some nipples telling me they would work for my import 45. I was a teen and didnt know better. The nipple wobbled about halfway, like mentioned above, but I tightened it up and forgot about it. Until it blew out one day, smoked my face and burning my eye...luckily I wasn't hurt.

Its serious, get the right nipple and see if it threads up with a wrench.

Eterry

If they only hand tightened it that would make it loose. Try to tighten it with a wrench 1st and go from there. If you have to get a new nipple get an ampco nipple, they are awsome and since the flash hole is so small it tends to make consistancy better. I shoot alot of original guns with worn out breaches and I solve the blow back problem with ampco nipples. The last gun I bought had the same nipple problem and it was caused by the last owner cleaning and oiling the gun and forgetting to tighten them back up after assembly.

Back